Monday, January 29, 2007

Monday Night Live Music Options 01-29-07

The Broken West wrap up their Spaceland residency tonight
Tonight’s Tivo Alert: Peter Bjorn and John on Late Night with Conan O’Brien
Tonight's Pick:
The Broken West / All Smiles (Jim Fairchild) @ Spaceland (Free) – Last week my girlfriend accused me of being gay for Ross from the Broken West (apparently I wrote about them three times). Not true. Anyway, I’m finally going to check them out tonight. Their new record on Merge is well worth picking it up. Extremely well done pop songs. All Smiles is Jim Fairchild’s new band. You might remember him as the guitarist in Grandaddy. His new record comes out on April 24th on Dangerbird Records.
Also worth seeing:
Lou Barlow / Imaad Wasif / Listing Ship @ Safari Sam’s ($5) – If it wasn’t for the Broken West, I’d probably check out this show. I always enjoy seeing Lou do his thing. Ask him about the Dinosaur Jr. reunion album or the upcoming Sebadoh reunion tour. Download Imaad Wasif’s “Out in the Black
Pity Party / Happy Hollows / Twilight Sleep / Eagle and Talon @ Silverlake Lounge (Free) – This is your last chance to see the Pity Party’s Monday night residency and it should be a great crowd. I haven’t seen the Happy Hollows yet, but a lot of my friends keep saying great things about them.
The Submarines / Xu Xu Fang @ the Echo (Free) – The Submarines are very easy on the ears. They’ve got male and female call and response singing and mild electronic beats.
Maybe you prefer the Sunset Strip?
Pennywise / The Circle Jerks @ House of Blues (Sold Out) – The Circle Jerks were one of my favorite bands in 8th Grade. I remember a girl wrote “Group Sex” on my notebook in Algebra class.
Starlight Desperation / Lion Fever @ Viper Room

3 comments:

Spider Monkey Jones said...

i remember a girl who was a fan of the Butthole Surfers in 8th grade. She had it written on her English textbook cover. So much cooler than i.

Anonymous said...

I was in idaho during jr. high and people used to write shit like "rodeo #1 Sport" on their binders.

Duke said...

radio city would be cooler; i didn't know anybody who was into big star in junior high.

i did have a friend who was a calf roper in junior high.