Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thursday Night Music Options 1/18/07

Dead Ponies Play Tonight at the Silverlake Lounge
Tonight's Pick:
The SoftLightes / The Changes / Dead Ponies @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – Here are three bands that I haven’t seen, but I’m very curious about. I was always aware of the Incredible Moses Leroy, but I never got around to listening to them. The main guy behind that band, (Ron Fountenberry) is also the main guy behind The SoftLightes. As I write this, I’m listening to their new record (out 2/13/07 on Modular) for the first time. Several of the songs have a Postal Service vibe (he even sounds like Ben Gibbard on some songs) while some have that heavily processed ELO/Mr. Blue Sky voice and some are just mellow indie pop songs. It’s all really listenable and makes me curious to see him live. The Changes are a super catchy guitar pop band from Chicago. I like what I’ve heard from them. Download The Changes’ “When I Wake” Dead Ponies are a local heavy (in the shoegazer way) band that you’ll probably like if you like Darker My Love. I’ve heard they’re a really good live band.
Also Appearing:
Low Vs. Diamond @ Troubadour ($8) – Kevin Bronson has a post about these guys on Buzz Bands HERE.
Killradio Fundraiser: Die Rockers Die @ the Echo ($5) – The LA Weekly recommends this Die Rocker Die show.
Los Abandoned @ Amoeba (Free)
The Colour / Bodies of Water @ Spaceland - The Colour are friends with Cold War Kids. Maybe the Cold War Kids will show up again and you can hit them up for tickets to their sold out show at the Silverlake Lounge tomorrow.

No comments: