Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday Night Music Action 4/30/07

Cornelius Plays El Rey Tonight
I’m sore and exhausted. Unfortunately it’s not from Coachella (for the most extensive coverage check out the LA Times Buzz Bands blog), but from moving. I don’t recommend accumulating roughly 1,500 CDs, 800 LPs, 100 books and 100 DVDs.

Tivo Alert: Dinosaur Jr. on Letterman; Arctic Monkeys on Conan; Replays of the Silversun Pickups on both Kimmel and Carson Daly

Tonight's Pick:
Cornelius / Holy Fuck @ El Rey ($21.50) – Cornelius is the stage name of a very talented Japanese musician/producer named Keigo Oyamada. His album, Fantasma was a favorite of mine when it came out in 1997. Since then he seems less interested in writing songs and more interested in creating sonic palettes. He’s been pretty great the few times I’ve seen him. Anybody catch him at Coachella this weekend?
Where I'll Actually Be:
The Minor Canon / Liam Finn / The Films @ Spaceland (Free) – This is the last night of Minor Canon’s residency and Spaceland Recordings will be recording this one for release on CD (and possibly DVD). It’s always cool to have a high quality recording of a show you witnessed. As I’ve mentioned before, the Minor Canon put out one of my favorite releases of the year so far. Give these guys a listen. Liam Finn plays tonight (not last week as I reported – sorry I got my info from the club’s website). Finn is Neil Finn’s son. Crowded House was in town for Coachella, you think there’s any chance pop will swing by Spaceland? I honestly have no idea, but that might be cool. His uncle is obviously Tim Finn (founder of Split Enz and later a member of Crowded House) who is playing shows at Largo on Tuesday and Thursday.
Also Recommended:
Andrew Bird @ Amoeba 7:00 PM (Free)
Mere Mortals / The Clean Prophets @ Safari Sam’s ($5) – The Clean Prophets put out one of my favorite records last year and just played our blog night. They sounded great. If you haven’t seen these guys, I strongly urge you to check them out.
The Black Pine / The Pity Party / Eagle and Talon / Minutes ‘Til Midnight @ The Echo (Free)
Not so much for me:
Pase Rock / Steve Aoki @ EchoPlex ($10) – For the indie dance crowd.
My Brightest Diamond / Pedestrian @ The Troubadour ($12) – My Brightest Diamond are labelmates of Sufjan Stevens
Nas @ House of Blues (Sold Out) – One of the most respected dudes in hip-hop.

No comments: