Thursday, April 12, 2007

New Music Tuesday 4/10/07


I know I'm a couple of days late this week, but there's quite a few things worth looking at.
Five Most Interesting New Releases:
Blonde Redhead: 23 (4AD) – I’ve been a Blonde Redhead fan ever since I saw them for the first time back when Spaceland’s stage was on the other side. This one’s getting mostly great reviews with the exception of Spin (which is probably a good thing anyway, right?). I’ve got the vinyl at home, but haven’t had a chance to listen yet. I’m sure I’ll really like it. They’ve only put out one record I didn’t like. See them at the Glasshouse on 4/25 or Coachella on 4/28. You won’t be disappointed unless you’re one of those freaks that gets grossed out by the idea of slightly creepy (but well dressed) Italian twins getting down with a Japanese woman.
Bright Eyes: Cassadega (Saddle Creek) – A lot of critics seem to think it’s their best record so far, but others think it’s bad high school poetry. You’ll have to decide for yourself. I’ve never gotten into them.
Goldrush: The Heart Is the Place (Better Looking Records) – It’s a little bit emotional in the Coldplay way, but I still think it’s pretty good. They’re on a local LA label in the States, if that’s any further incentive to buy. Letter Grade: B Download “Heaven’s My Destination
Grinderman: Grinderman (ANTI-) – Nick Cave with a lot of the Bad Seeds making more primitive punk rock. Critics can’t touch that, it’s getting great reviews. They’ve got a song about having the “No Pussy Blues.”
Love of Diagrams: Mosaic (Matador) – No-fi, post-punk inspired band from Melbourne. See them at El Rey on 4/12 and 4/13. Download “Pace or the Patience

Other Noteworthy New Releases:
Brother Ali: Undisputed Truth (Rhymesayers) – Jeff Weiss recommended it this week on the Times’ Buzz Bands blog. See him at Coachella on 4/27 or the Troubadour on 5/23.
Cloud Cult: The Meaning of 8 (Rebel Group) – Melancholy indie rock from Minneapolis. See them at the Knitting Factory on 5/4.
CocoRosie: The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillbourn (Touch and Go) – This is one of those bands that annoys a lot of people. They expand their experimental indie-folk sound and add a hip-hop influence.
Limbeck: Limbeck (Doghouse) – I requested this one from the publicist and somehow it got packed away in a box (I’m moving) and I haven’t heard it yet. Sometimes I’m such an idiot. I’ll write more once I find that stupid box. See them at the Troubadour on 4/19. Download “Big Drag
Madlib: The Other Side - Los Angeles (Deaf, Dumb, Blind) – This is a mix CD and some versions come with a DVD with Peanut Butter Wolf’s visual guide to LA.
Menomena: Wet and Rusting EP (Film Guerrero) – A remix, live version and a few outtakes from their latest album (which is quite good). See them at the Troubadour on 6/12.
Panthers: The Trick (Vice) – Riff rockers.
The Rosebuds: Night of the Furies (Merge) – My Old Kentucky Blog is a fan. I haven’t heard enough to make an informed opinion, but the stuff on Myspace sounds good. See them at Spaceland on 6/16.
Shearwater: Palo Santo – Expanded Edition (Matador) – Partially re-recorded. New songs added.
Sur La Mer: Prelude to the Sea EP
Laura Veirs: Saltbreakers (Nonesuch) – Check her out if you’re a big Let’s Go Sailing fan. See her at Largo on 6/2.
XBXRX: Wars (Polyvinyl) – Manic headache rock. See them at the Smell on 5/20. Download “Center Where Sight
Xiu Xiu: Remixed & Covered (5 Rue Christine) – See them at the Troubadour on 4/24.

DVD
Danielson: A Family Movie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"unless you’re one of those freaks that gets grossed out by the idea of slightly creepy (but well dressed) Italian twins getting down with a Japanese woman."

Are you talking to me? I'll have you know, mister, that I DO enjoy slightly creepy (but well dressed) Italian twins getting down with a Japanese woman. As a matter of fact, I have plenty of DVD's i can let you borrow if you're interested? Let me know...
My email addy is (all one word):

ienjoyslightlycreepybutwelldresseditaliantwinsgettingdownwithajapanesewoman@gmail.com