Thursday, April 26, 2007

Thursday Night Music Options 4/26/07

I don't see Johansson in this photo
Thursday's Pick:
Jesus and Mary Chain / Icarus Line / Giant Drag @ Glasshouse (Sold Out) – I’m a huge fan and since I’m not going to Coachella, I had to buy tickets. If you’re a newcomer to their work I recommend Darklands as the first purchase. While a lot of their old/true fans prefer Psychocandy, Darklands is more listenable. There are several great tracks that make Honey’s Dead and Automatic worth picking up too. Apparently Scarlett Johansson will be singing backup, which admittedly has me a little nervous. You’ve gotta take what you can get sometimes. Giant Drag goes on at 8 PM sharp, so I don't think I'll be seeing that.

Also recommended:
Earlimart with the String Dreamteam / Sea Wolf / Watson Twins / The Parson Red Heads @ EchoPlex ($8) – This is a great local lineup to celebrate the official opening of the EchoPlex below the Echo. If I wasn’t going to see JAMC, I’d check it out. The EchoPlex is a much larger space located directly below the Echo with two bars, huge restrooms (with bathroom attendants – guess you’ll have to do your blow in one of the 10 stalls instead of off the sink like you usually do) and some fancy little loungey areas interspersed throughout. Earlimart’s regularly playing as nine-piece now. The songs I’ve heard off their new album sound great, but as far as I know they’re still looking for the right label to release it. Sea Wolf is local heartthrob Alex Church’s (bass player from Irving) band that recently signed to Dangerbird. Download “You’re a Wolf.” The Watson Twins are the six foot twins who did a lovely job as backup singers on Jenny Lewis’ most recent album. They’ve got a really good EP of their own as well. The Parson Red Heads are a hard working local retro minded band that I really enjoy seeing live. They’re devotion to the 1960s is similar to the Beachwood Sparks, but they’re much more energetic live and even have a dancer in the band.

Also appearing:
Tapes ‘n’ Tapes / The Delta Spirit @ Spaceland ($14) – I’m not a huge fan, but if you like energetic indie rock, catch them here instead of Coachella. Download “Insistor” and “Cowbell
Xu Xu Fang / Stevenson Ranch Davidians @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – This is another solid local lineup. I’ve wanted to check out both of these retro-minded bands for a while. Xu Xu Fang posted on Myspace that this will be their last show.
Club Tribute Television and New York Dolls @ Safari Sam’s ($7) – See local bands perform songs from Television and New York Dolls.
Jet @ the Troubadour (Sold Out) – I don’t get them, but maybe you do?

No comments: