Monday, April 02, 2007

Monday Night Music Options 4/2/07


Tonight's Pick:
The Minor Canon / Nico Stai / Repeater / The By and By @ Spaceland (Free) – The Minor Canon put out one of my favorite records of the young year. I’ve written extensively about them and now I command you to see them at their free, month long residency at Spaceland. I once wrote a post where I attempted to trace all the bands that sprang out of Strictly Ballroom and Further (I’ve since learned how to spell Jimmy Tamborello and also realized that the drummer I failed to identify in Strictly Ballroom is now Minor Canon’s manager). You’re not going to hear Steve Aoki DJ’ing this stuff at Lindsay Lohan’s birthday party. It’s a bit melancholy, but not in a depressing way. There are horns and organs and a pop sensibility at the heart of it all. Go over to their Myspace page and check it out.
Free Residencies:
The Black Pine @ the Echo (Free) – The Black Pine are doing the free residency at the Echo this month.
Wires on Fire @ Silverlake Lounge (Free) – Wires on Fire are doing the Monday night residency at the Silverlake Lounge. They’re on the cover the LA Record this week. Their music is a bit more abrasive than the other bands doing residencies this month.
Also Appearing:
Ratatat / 120 Days @ the Fonda ($15) – This show’s more for the indie dance crowd people.
Rooney / Scanners @ the Roxy ($10) – Datarock and Scanners packed Spaceland last Wednesday night.
Akil the MC (from Jurassic 5) @ Safari Sam’s ($10)
Anavan / Health @ Pehr Space

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion on these guys. I've been enjoying their tunes on Rhapsody for the past couple weeks.

-Plesser

Anonymous said...

And by them, I was referring to Minor Canon. Sloppy typing....

Plesser