Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wednesday Night Music Options 6/20/07

Acute Plays the Troubadour Tonight


Tonight's Picks:
Club NME: The New Year / David Bazan @ Spaceland ($12) – Not to turn you off, but if you like slowcore (borderline depressing) indie rock like I do, then you’ll like the New Year. I was happy to see this on the schedule since I thought they broke up. The Kadane brothers were in another band I loved called Bedhead. I first saw Bedhead around 1996 at the Replay Lounge (which held about 35 people at the time) in Lawrence, KS. It was one of those experiences where I liked the performance so much I followed them out to their van and bought a bunch of merch (partially because I was afraid they didn’t have any gas money). David Bazan is the guy from Pedro the Lion.
Jesse Malin / Chuck Ragan / Acute @ Troubadour ($12) – Acute’s a local LA band that doesn’t get as much blog attention as a lot of less deserving bands. That’s why I’m sending a guest correspondent out to review the show tonight. They play hooky alt-pop that the All Music Guide compares to Wilco, the Cars and pre-Document R.E.M. Dave Trumfio (Grandaddy, Wilco, Built to Spill, My Morning Jacket) recorded their new record, which is out now on Help Records. Download Acute’s “The City” and “Follow You Home
Also Appearing:
The Police @ Staples ($260 tickets still remain) – Will Sting use his yoga skills to autofellate? For $260 I sure hope so.
Great Lake Swimmers / Eleni Mandell / Ferraby Lionheart / Marissa Nadler @ Hotel Café ($12) – This is a good (and somewhat unexpected) lineup for the Hotel Café.
Hell Ya Night: Paris Hltn, Mtrhfckrs / Juiceboxxx @ the Echo (Free over 21 / $5 for 18+)
Radio Birdman @ El Rey ($24)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, you may have seen Bedhead prior to that. Remember SXSW in '95? I think we saw them play at the same venue as Yo La Tengo and that great live band Crust. Great to read that the New Year are still playing.

-Plesser

Duke said...

is that why we went to the replay? i guess after that crust performance everything else is hazy....by the way, i picked up a sealed crust LP a few months ago for $2 just for giggles. it's still sealed.