Thursday, June 14, 2007

Top Five Most Interesting Releases 6/5/07

I'm way behind on this stuff. Almost two weeks behind. Some noteworthy stuff was released, and I personally feel out of touch....

The Top Five:
Afghan Whigs: Unbreakable - A Retrospective 1990-2006 (Rhino) - They were huge while I was in college. When I moved to LA I'd see lead singer Greg Dulli all around town in the various bars he has/had a stake in. He was the original hard partying, hard drinking indie crooner. Is the white room still going strong?
A Band of Bees: Octopus (Astralwerks) - I splurged for the import version of this disc a while back. These guys are so eclectic (but not in a boring, samey way like some people define it). One track they've got a dub beat, the next track they've got a soul vibe. It's disconcerting from lesser musicians, but works quite well with these guys. I've been listening to it daily for over a month. I recommend you listen. One of my top 10 discs of the year so far. I wish they'd play a show in the US soon. Letter Grade: B+
Paul McCartney: Memory Almost Full (Hear Music/Starbucks) - People say its his best album in years, but I've avoided it so far.
Shellac: Excellent Italian Greyhound (Touch and Go) - I tend to like Steve Albini and Bob Weston's band more in theory than in reality. It's great when you're pissed off.
Porter Wagoner: Wagonmaster (Anti) - I've been listening to vintage Porter Wagoner, but haven't heard this one yet. Anybody see him at Safari Sam's? I'm sad I missed it. If you like Gram Parsons and Johnny Cash you should pay him respect.

Other Releases:
Amandine: Solace in Sore Hands (Fat Cat) - Those fucking Swedes.
Bonde do Role: With Lasers (Domino) - A Brazilian Beastie Boys? I read that on Amazon.
David Bowie: Best of 1980-1987 – Sight and Sound (Virgin/EMI) - Not exactly his more fertile period. A greatest hits might do ya right.
The Cinematic Orchestra: Ma Fleur (Domino)
The Clash: The Singles (Epic) - How many best ofs are there? I will admit that I'm more of a greatest hits guy when it comes to the Clash.
Chris Cornell: Carry On (Interscope) - My friend Justin passed me a cassette dub of Soundgarden's Ultramega OK in honors English class Sophomore year. Piracy's killing the record labels.
Dappled Cities: Granddance (Dangerbird) – Aussies on the local Dangerbird label. Produced by Jim Fairchild and Peter Walker. At the Troubadour on 7/25.
Get Him Eat Him: Arms Down (Absolutely Kosher) - Well connected indie rockers. Download "2 x 2" At the Knitting Factory on 7/15.
The Ladybug Transistor: Can't Wait Another Day (Merge) - Solid indie rockers put out their sixth album.
The Long Blondes: Someone to Drive You Home (Beggars) - Female fronted, upbeat (almost dance rock) British band. Live at the Echo on 6/15.
Marilyn Manson: Eat Me, Drink Me (Nothing)
Pelican: City of Echoes (Hydrahead) - Heavy rock.
Pissed Jeans: Hope for Men (Sub Pop) - I bought their first 7" on Sub Pop and quickly decided I was too old for this shit. PA punk band. Download "I've Still Got You (Ice Cream)"
Sean Na-Na: Family Trees Or - Cope We Must (Dim Mak) - You probably see him all over town and you probably know he's a really nice guy. I've seen him at least twice this week already. At the Troubadour on 7/24.
They Shoot Horses Don't They: Pick Up Sticks (Kill Rock Stars) - At the Smell on 8/25.
Various Artists: Anchored in Love - A Tribute to June Carter Cash (Dualtone) - With Willie, Lorettea, Emmylou, Kris, Ralph Stanley, etc. and BBT (?)
Various Artists: Ocean’s Thirteen Soundtrack (Warner Bros.) - David Holmes score.

No comments: