Saturday, June 02, 2007

Weekend Music

I had a big post prepared on Thursday for the weekend music options, but my computer ate it. I'm taking it easy this weekend, watching a lot of television. I'm currently watching the NBA Playoffs and they've shown that VW commercial with Jeff Tweedy or Wilco doing "The Thanks I Get" numerous times. Tweedy did the song on his "Sunken Treasure" DVD and Wilco performed it on Conan. It's a little unsettling to hear Tweedy in a commercial, but selling it out has become acceptable. Last night I saw that new Sears commercial with The 88's "Coming Home." The 88 recently signed with Island and they're in the studio with Babyface. Very odd. I've always liked their music, but I haven't seen them live in a while. I noticed in their new promo photos that some of the original members were missing and those hideous suits were gone. You might remember in my post on October 20, 2005, I told them to lose those suits.

Anybody see Autolux and Deerhoof at the Natural History museum last night? How about the Raveonettes at Spaceland?

A few options tonight. Laura Veirs @ Largo; Manu Caho @ LA Sports Arena; Rhett Miller @ Malibu Inn; Louis XIV @ the Roxy; the High Strung @ Spaceland

A few good options on Sunday:
Little Radio's getting their Summer Camp Sunday barbeques going again. Tomorrow offers the Willowz, the Pity Party and Western States Motel. Next Sunday offers the Raveonettes, Special Little Guests and Brothers & Sisters.

The Echo's weekly free celebration of country music, Grane Ole Echo, continues with Dave Insley. He's worth checking out.

If you're looking for a Sunday night party, Part Time Punks at the Echo is always happening. Pretty Girls Make Graves sold out the Troubadour.

1 comment:

elana said...

A friend of mine caught the Natural history museum show. Deerhoof was excellent, however Autolux was not up to par that night. Supposedly new stuff that never really went anywhere.