Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thursday Night Live Music Preview 10/11/07

Beirut Plays the Avalon Wednesday and Thursday (and here demonstrates what his records make me do)
The new Radiohead album is now available for download from the band. If it wasn't for their fans being so militant about their brilliance, I'd probably be more excited about it. As it is, I'm waiting until I get home to download it (and really hoping that I enjoy it more than the last two).
Thursday's Picks 10/11/07:

Morrissey / Kristeen Young @ Palladium ($50 / $25 with discount password) – The $25 tix are impossible to pass up. I heard his show last night was fantastic. Type PALLADIUM in for the cheapies.

Beirut / Colleen @ Avalon ($22) – Buy a ticket and you can get a one year subscription to Entertainment Weekly. For the Eastern European indie gypsy folk fans.

Nina Nastasia with Jim White / The Sagittarians @ Knitting Factory Front Stage ($12) – The new Nina Nastisian/Jim White album has gotten great reviews (including an 8.6 from Pitchfork). The bits I’ve heard sound good, but the front stage at the Knitting Factory’s about the last place on earth I’d want to see those songs performed. The Sagittarians is a new band with Neil Busch (Trail of Dead) and Alan Rosetti (VIET NAM).

Avengers / Pansy Division @ Spaceland ($10) – The Avengers are a first wave (circa 1977) San Francisco punk band who famously opened for the Sex Pistols at their last show (not counting their reunions of course). The original vocalist and guitarist are on this tour. Pansy Division’s a queercore band that I saw open for Green Day at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, KS in 1994. They were quite amusing. I was working security backstage and it was great standing on stage and watching the kids’ expressions as the lead singer thrust his strap-on pink dildo at them.

Rogue Wave / Port O’Brien @ El Rey ($14) – I thought their first album was great, their second album ok and I’ve only heard two tracks on their new one. They just seem to water down their sound more and more with each release.

Also Appearing on Thursday:
Annie Lennox @ Wilshire Theatre (Sold Out)

Ozma / New Year’s Day / Satisfaction @ Knitting Factory Main Stage ($15)

Free Moral Agents / Crystal Antlers @ Charlie O’s ($5)

Dance Right: J-Logic @ La Cita – Since I mention Cinespace Tuesdays sometimes, I figured I should mention this one downtown hipsterfest.

Acute @ Hotel CafĂ© – I plan on seeing them next Thursday at Spaceland with Le Switch and Parson Red Heads.
Ana Egge @ Silverlake Lounge ($8)

No comments: