Monday, October 01, 2007

Most Interesting New Releases - Tuesday 9/25/07


I'm so far behind, this is for last Tuesday. Too much interesting stuff to investigate...

Top New Releases 9/25/07:

[LOCAL] Devendra Banhart: Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon (XL) – When I see this guy out he seems like a super nice and friendly cat. Then when I see him in photos in Indian headdress or sequin bikinis on the splash page of Myspace I think WTF. He’s managed by Neil Young’s manager and living the sort of idealized hippie existence in Topanga. I know he’s got interesting taste in music, but I’ve never really sat down with any of his records.
See him at the Orpheum on 10/13.
Download “Seahorse

The Cave Singers: Invitation Songs (Matador) – I was really excited when I heard the first single. Then when I got the full length, the lead singer’s voice was just too much. It’s a rootsy, Appalachian folk-inspired band. His voice is the male equivalent of Victoria Williams. If you can get over that, you might dig it.
See them at the Echo on 10/23.
Download “Seeds of Night

Georgie James: Places (Saddle Creek) – I got this one in the mail and it didn’t immediately grab me, but my girlfriend found it and told me to give it another shot. It’s John Davis (from Q and Not U) and Laura Burhenn doing real a sorta 1970s soft rock.thing that reminded me a little of Tahiti 80 and reminded my girlfriend of that French band, Mellow. It’s nice and pleastant pop.
See them at the Echo on 10/31.
Download “Need Your Needs” (recommended) and “Cake Parade

Iron & Wine: The Shepherd’s Dog (Sub Pop) – I’m a big Sam Beam/Iron & Wine fan. I appreciate how he manages to keep doing new things with each album but stays true to his essence. This record features his most fleshed out arrangements with accordions, organs, vibraphones, etc. I still love his sparse, early recordings but this one’s great too. Recommended.
See them at the Orpheum on 11/28
Download “Innocent Bones

[LOCAL] Sea Wolf: Leaves in the River (Dangerbird) – I haven’t heard the full length yet. As you know Alex Church was the bassist in Irving and split off to form Sea Wolf. He’s already gotten a ton of press and a national TV appearance on Kimmel.
See them at the Troubadour on 11/29

Shocking Pinks: Shocking Pinks (DFA/Astralwerks) – Indie electro-pop from New Zealand. I liked the clips I heard and bought this one (but haven’t had a chance to listen yet).

Stars: In Our Bedroom After the War (Arts & Crafts) – Their fourth album, which I haven’t heard yet. The bits I have heard make it sound like they’ve abandoned the electro-pop sound of their last record.
At the Orpheum on 11/10.

Tunng: Good Arrows (Thrill Jockey) – The third album from the British, folktronica band. I saw Jeff Weiss’ review and requested a copy of this. It’s a really interesting and dense listen that I haven’t had a chance to fully digest yet. If you like the moody, introspective electronic sounds of bands like the Notwist, I think you’ll dig it.
See them at the Echo on 11/6.

Other Interesting Releases:

Athlete: Beyond the Neighborhood (Astralwerks)
At the Troubadour on 11/14

Sir Richard Bishop: Polytheistic Fragments (Drag City) – Founding member of Sun City Girls.
At the Echoplex on 10/5

Karen Dalton: Cotton Eyed Joe (Delmore) – 2CD + DVD

Damon and Naomi: Within These Walls (20/20/20) – Former Galaxie 500 members.
At the Echoplex on 10/15.

Dethklok: The Dethalbum (Williams Street) – Those crazy kids at Adult Swim.

The Dragons: BFI (Ninja Tune) – First time ever release from the Dragon brothers who went on to back up the Beach Boys. Brother Daryl is also known as the Captain from Captain and Tenille. I’m a sucker for this type of story, so I’m sure I’ll pick it up. The bits I’ve heard sound a little bit jazzy, a little bit spacey, a little bit funky.

Dragons of Zynth: Coronation Thieves (Gigantic Records)
Download “Get Off

Steve Earle: Washington Square Serenade (New West)

Eskimo Joe: Black Fingernails Red Wine
Download “Black Fingernails, Red Wine” and “New York

Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (RCA) – Remember how they promote this shit?

Jose Gonzalez: In Our Nature (Mute) – Talented Swedish singer-songwriter with one of those haunting voices.
At El Rey on 10/10

The GoStation: Passion Before Function (Edge Delay)
Download “All Together Now

Bettye LaVette: The Scene of the Crime (Anti) – Soul music.
Download “Talking Old Soldiers” and “You Don’t Know Me at All

Loney, Dear: Sologne (Rebel Group) – Reissue

Magik Markers: Boss (Ecstatic Peace)
See them at Spaceland on 10/14

Mountain Home: Mountain Home (Drag City)

mum: Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy (Fat Cat) – Atmospheric Icelandic people
See them at the Orpheum on 10/24

The New Amsterdams: At the Foot of My Rival (Curb Appeal) – Lawrence, KS

Office: A Night at the Ritz (New Line) – Chicago band. I wanted to hear them since they’re touring with Earlimart. The lyrics are really inane which make it sleaze-pop, but I don’t find it that interesting.
At the Troubadour on 10/24
Download “The Ritz” and “Oh My

The Red Krayola with Art & Language: Sighs Trapped By Liars (Drag City)

Brian Setzer Orchestra: Wolfgang’s Big Night Out (Surfdog Records) - At the Gibson on 12/21.
Download “Wolfgang’s Big Night Out

Small Sins: Mood Swings (Astralwerks) – These guys toured with the Little Ones, but I haven’t really heard them.
At Spaceland on 11/7

Takka Takka: We Feel Safer At Night (Ernest Jenning) – These guys got a lot of post-CYHSY attention.

Telephone Jim Jesus: Anywhere Out of Everything (Anticon)

Two Gallants: Two Gallants (Saddle Creek)
At El Rey on 10/18
Download “The Hand That Held Me Down” and “Despite What You’ve Been Told

Various Artists: People Take Warning – Murder Ballads & Disaster Songs 1913-1938 (Tompkins Square) – Three disc box set that would make a great gift for your American roots loving music snob friends.

Via Audio: Say Something (Sidecho)

The Weakerthans: Reunion Tour (Epitaph)
See them at El Rey on 10/2

Zolar X: X Marks the Spot (Alternative Tentacles) – Crazy scenesters who dressed up like Space Aliens and hung out at Rodney Bingenheimer’s English Disco. Jello Biafra was a huge fan, thus the label connection.

No comments: