Monday, July 17, 2006

Live Music Options 7/17 - 7/20

Here's a quickie post. I'll try to supplement later with links, etc. I also saw Ray Davies last night and a little bit of the Upper Crust on Friday.

Monday 7/17/06
The Rakes @ the Troubadour (Sold Out) – They’re a British post-punk inspired band (with thick accents). I only got through about 1 ½ songs on their CD, but a lot of people seem to like them (they did sell out the Troubadour). It’s probably upbeat and fun in a live setting.

Nicolai Dunger @ the Echo ($8) – Swedish singer-songwriter with seven albums out. I’ve never been able to get into it, but it’s probably not that bad.

Darker My Love / Midnight Movies / Sky Parade @ Spaceland (FREE) – Darker My Love are a local band with a new album coming out on Dangerbird Records. They’re doing the Monday night residency this month. The album’s a little Jonestowny, but they rock a little harder live. Midnight Movies use to not have a bass player, but now they have a bass player. Sky Parade has some Jonestown connections and plays Church/Love and Rockets-inspired music.

Tuesday 7/18/06
Jana Hunter / Feathers / Entrance @ El Cid ($10) – This is the first night of the Arthur Magazine/Devendra Banhart curated festival. Jana Hunter and Feathers are in the freak folk terrain. Entrance is a little more blues inspired.

Bedroom Walls / Listing Ship @ Tangier ($8) – Bedroom Walls play “romanticore.”

Sea Wolf / Great Northern @ the Echo ($5) – You may know Alex Church (aka Sea Wolf) as the bass player from Irving. He’s got a strong backing band (last time I saw him he had Patrick Park, Dave Woody and Byron Reynolds in the band).

Merle Jagger @ Lava Lounge – They’re an instrumental country-rock band. They are also doing an in-store at Sea Level Records on Saturday at 4:00PM for free.

The Submarines / Army Navy @ Hotel Café – The Submarines have a solid new album out on Nettwerk. Call and response, boy/girl lyrics about relationships. They sound a little like Stars.

Wednesday 7/19/06
Muse @ Greek Theatre ($35) – Their new album is ridiculously over-the-top, stadium rock. Accept that, and just sit back and enjoy it. They move from monster riffs, to Queen riffs to military riffs. It’s a political record for the masses. They’ve always been more of a live band for me anyway. For a trio, they get some massive sounds.

Camera Obscura @ the Troubadour (Sold Out) – People swear by this Scottish, indie pop band’s new record. I heard they were great at SXSW. They’re kind of the opposite of Muse.

The Church @ Henry Fonda ($25.50) – Australian band that’s back in vogue. I never got much beyond “Under the Milky Way,” but that was a good song.

Johnette Napolitano @ The Hotel Café – I liked a few tracks off of Concrete Blonde’s Bloodletting quite a bit, but I never dug too deep.

Pop Levi @ Safari Sam’s ($7) – The former bass player from Ladytron’s new band. I think most people like those girls from Ladytron.

Gus Black @ Largo – He’s a local singer-songwriter.

Thursday 7/20/06
The Raconteurs / Kelley Stoltz @ Wiltern (Sold Out) – I wrote an extended review of the Raconteurs show at the Fonda. They’re much better live than on album. If you have tickets, be sure to get there early and check out Kelley Stoltz. He put out one of my favorite albums of the year. Download Kelley Stoltz "The Sun Comes Through"

Nine Black Alps @ Spaceland ($12) – Not particularly original, but not a bad band. They’re from Manchester and my girlfriend thinks they’re a bunch of sexy dudes.

The Parson Redheads @ Silverlake Lounge ($7) – I still haven’t seen ‘em, but they’re one of the local bands I’ve been hearing great things about. They play Byrds-inspired rock.

The Movies @ the Derby ($5) - A lot of people I know consider The Movies the best local band...

Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory / Subtitle @ El Cid ($10) – Mystic Chords is Chris Gunst from Beachwood Sparks and Nobody is an underground beatmaker. This is another Arthur Magazine/Devendra Banhart night.

Minor Canon @ the Echo (Free) – He played in Dntel with Jimmy Tamborello. This is his new band.

4 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

Hail Kelley Stoltz. Because I must say it once again. I'm very happy I didn't savage his live show at the Little Ones/Irving/Stoltz show. You just need to hear that album first to appreciate it. That and Sunset Rubdown are easily the most underrated albums of the year. The Liars and TV on the Radio easily the most overrated.

Spider Monkey Jones said...

You know I do like that Kelley Stoltz album but I feel the 2nd half is better than the first half - I think some of the songs are a little too same-y. But I love that song about the dog and the rabbit makin out.

Duke said...

i still need to hear the sunset rubdown. i haven't heard the TV on the Radio yet, but i have the vinyl at home. i'll check it out tonight or this weekend. the liars don't really interest me.

Anonymous said...

For the love of Jezus, Duke, am I going to have to make you an "Introduction to The Church" CD? This band has been around for over 25 years and all you've heard is "Milky Way"?!?!? You're killing me. I can't stand it. I'm gonna have to do something about this. Seriously. Jeezus.