Thursday, July 06, 2006

Weekend Music Options

I’m really looking forward to B&S / The Shins tonight. I neglected to mention that the Clean Prophets are also playing tonight at Safari Sam’s. They’re really good too (but I’ll be at the Bowl).

Friday 7/7/06
Irving / The Rentals / Ozma @ Fonda Theatre ($18) – I already gave away a couple of sets of tickets. Matt Sharp’s a very talented guy (and the original bass player in Weezer) and The Rentals haven’t played in like a decade. Irving always puts on a high energy show.

The Little Ones / dios (malos) / The Submarines @ the Echo ($10 adv / $12 dos) – A couple of my favorite local bands. If you still haven’t picked up The Little Ones EP you’re missing out. Once they get signed it will probably go out of print and then you’ll have to buy it on Ebay for too much. Dios (malos) have a new drummer and they’re getting ready to record their third album. Both of their records are worth picking up too. The Submarines are a new band that kind of reminds me of the Stars. It’s a good listen too.

Legendary Pink Dots @ El Rey Theatre ($15) – The LA Weekly did a write-up.

8-Bit @ Mr. T’s Bowl (Free) – Quite possibly the most ridiculous band in LA.

Kids of Widney High @ Tangier ($10) – Perhaps you saw them in the Ringer? Or heard about them on Howard Stern’s show?

Year Future / Qui @ the Smell ($5) – Loud rock for the downtown rock scene.

Saturday 7/8/06
Sonic Youth @ Undisclosed Location (Sold Out) – You couldn’t buy tickets for this (they were given away at local indie record stores – but oddly they’re doing a signing at Tower?). I’m digging the new record. I hope it cools down a little. I got guilted into removing the location. I forgot it was a secret...

Petra Haden & the Sell Outs / Lavender Diamond @ Safari Sam’s ($12) – See her do the Who a cappella.

Quintron & Miss Pussy Cat @ Spaceland ($10) – Refer to the LA Weekly

The Lovemakers @ Troubadour ($10)

Sunday 7/9/06
Sonic Youth / Pearl Jam @ Forum (Sold Out) – Jeremy spoke in class today.

Quintron & Miss Pussy Cat @ the Echo ($10)- The LA Weekly seems to like them, go read what they have to say.

Early Man @ the Whiskey ($14) – I like Early Man and they were really good last time they played Spaceland. If you like Wolfmother, and this current wave of heavy bands influenced by good metal (Sabbath, Motorhead, Priest) then check them out. Tough to get out to the Whiskey though.

Mike Stinson @ the Echo 5:00 PM (Free) – My favorite local honky tonk singer.

The Probe @ the Scene ($5) – Heavy rock sans gimmicks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see Early Man, but more looking forward to Three Inches of Blood (who they're also playing with). I've seen 3 Inches more than any other band, at this point (I think--either them or High on Fire)--and they're always a great time.

Roonie said...

You rock. Thanks for this blog; I'll be linking you v. soon!

Duke said...

haven't heard 3 inches. i'll have to give them a listen. let me know what you think of early man....

Anonymous said...

I just posted about the show on my blog...I'm tired and it's probably incoherent though. (Pics and videoclips included.) Early Man were awesome, and we're going out to Corona tonight to catch them again. It'll be my 11th time seeing 3 Inches.