Tuesday, July 11, 2006

New Releases 7/11/06

Most of these didn't live up to the hype for me. Maybe you disagree? I don't wanna stop anybody from buying the Sufjan, Thom Yorke and James Figurine. None of them are bad records at all. The Format caught me by surprise in a good way.....


The Adored: A New Language (V2) – Local band.

Cansei De Ser Sexy (CSS): Cansei De Ser Sexy (Sub Pop) – This is that new Brazilian band that Sub Pop signed. I haven’t heard it yet.

Cut Chemist: The Audience's Listening (Warner Bros.) – You know him from J5, Ozomatli and his work bootlegs with DJ Shadow. Anybody heard it? Appearing at Amoeba at 7:00 PM Tuesday.

Every Move a Picture: Heart=Weapon (V2) – San Francisco dancey rock band that I haven’t heard.

The Format: Dog Problems (Nettwerk) – This record came in the mail and I didn’t know anything about it or have any expectations. I saw Steven Mcdonald’s (Redd Kross) name on it as producer, so I put it on. It’s strong power-pop. I strongly recommend it for the power pop fans. I’m listening to it a lot more than the Muse, Sufjan, James Figurine or Thom Yorke. Appearing August 31 at the Avalon.

Hylozoists: La Fin du Monde (Boompa) – If you love Vibraphones and Tortoise, then you’ll probably appreciate this. I got it in the mail and it’s good instrumental background music.

James Figurine: Mistake, Mistake, Mistake, Mistake [cd] – Jimmy Tamborello’s new CD. I was excited about it before it came out, but I’m having a hard time getting through it. Who disagrees? I know some of you do.

Muse: Black Holes and Revelations – This CD is so ridiculously over-the-top it’s pretty hard to listen to. I’ll still be seeing them live at the Greek Theatre on 7/19.

Oneida: Happy New Year (Jagjaguwar) – Fans of Oneida are digging it. Other people are probably getting headaches from it.

Peaches: Impeach My Bush (XL) – Not my thing.

Ramblin' Jack Elliott: I Stand Alone (Anti) – Well respected by the indie community.

Soul Asylum: The Silver Lining (Sony) – Their first album since 1998. They’re appearing at Tower Sunset at 6:00PM on Tuesday and later that night at the Troubadour.

Sufjan Stevens: The Avalanche: Outtakes And Extras From The Illinois Album (Asthmatic Kitty) – There’s some good stuff on here, but I’m a little sick of the record and it feels a little like work to get through it. I’ll still see him at the Wiltern on October 9th.

Thom Yorke: The Eraser (XL) – Another record I was excited about until I heard it. Kinda like the last two Radiohead records but without any guitars.

Various Artists: The Pilgrim: A Celebration Of Kris Kristofferson (Emergent)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Syd Barrett...

shine on you crazy emerald - uh, i mean DIAMOND!

Anonymous said...

I can admit that the new Muse is a bit odd and that Thom Yorke is a bit tired but I like that Sufjan. I just wish he would have changed all the lyrics to apply to a new state, at this rate we will all be long gone by the time he gets through half of U.S. states.
I think everyone should buy the Tilly and the Wall. awesome.

Anonymous said...

the real question is whether will Sufjan will do an album for Puerto Rico or not. We'll have to wait and see.

And will the Rhode Island album be an EP or single?


i agree, Tilly and the Wall is groovy... dig those happy feet.

Passion of the Weiss said...

by the way the Kelley Stoltz album is outstanding. i just got it. Wow. definitely gonna' make any best of 2006 list I do. So much better on record than live. Why are you the only person on the Internet that I've heard talking about it.

Duke said...

most of these music bloggers are so copycat (that's why publicists love them). if you can get one influential blogger to write about something, they'll all follow. apparently i'm not one of those influential bloggers. i don't even have time to read the other bloggers anymore.

i'm glad the raconteurs are taking kelley stoltz out on the road with them. maybe he'll start to get some of the respect he deserves....

Passion of the Weiss said...

I for one appreciate the keeping it realness of the blog. After listening to that album, I completely see why they're bringing him on tour. He reminds me of Jack White a little bit for some reason. The way they sing seems to come from the same place. I can't believe the other bloggers didn't pick up on this. Seriously, it beats the fucking hell out of Tokyo Police Club or Forward Russia.