Thursday, July 13, 2006

Weekend Music Options

I still haven't reviewed Sonic Youth, The Rentals or The Lilys. Maybe tomorrow?

Friday 7/14/06
The Upper Crust @ Spaceland ($12) – They're a gimmick band that wears silly wigs and plays silly glam/metal riffs. Probably not for the thinking man, but it should be a fun way to spend Friday night.

The Good Listeners @ Tangier ($10) – Mellow Eno-inspired rockers.

Matt Costa / The Watson Twins @ Troubadour (Sold Out) – The Watson Twins are dang good with Jenny Lewis (and I hear their record is solid). Don’t know much about Matt Costa.

The Spores @ El Cid ($8) – New on the scene and playing quite frequently. They’ve got a record out now and they incorporate puppets into the show.

The Go-Go’s @ the Greek Theatre ($25-55) – Remember how dirty they used to be.

Appleseed Cast @ the Echo ($10) – Emo-ish indie rock from my college town.

Saturday 7/15/06
Parchman Farm / Danava @ Spaceland ($8) - San Francisco's Parchman Farm play pre-metal, blues rock and have a heavy Blue Cheer influence. If you're into Blue Cheer (or even Wolfmother) then check them out. Danava are on Kemado and were also on that solid Invaders comp that came out earlier this year.

Davie Allan & the Arrows / Insect Surfers @ Safari Sam’s ($10) - Davie Allan just put out a new record that celebrates California. The Insect Surfers are celebrating their anniversary (the claim to be the longest running surf band).

The Shakes / Kind Hearts & Coronets @ Mr. T’s Bowl (Free) - Hanging out in Highland Park can be a nice change of pace sometimes. The Shakes are on Jim Freek's Teenacide Records.

Sunday 7/16/06
Ray Davies @ the Wiltern ($32.50 - $42.50) - No way in hell I'm missing this show. The Kinks are my all time favorite band (if I had to pick only one) because Ray Davies is my all time favorite lyricist. If you don't own Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur and Something Else By the Kinks then pick them up immediately. The new solo record is solid (but a little slicker than I'd prefer). Reflects on New Orleans and facing mortality.

Drums & Tuba / The Vasco Era @ Spaceland - Drums & Tuba play rock music with tubas, drums and guitars. The Vasco Era are from Australia and seem to like the blues.

Greg Graffin @ the Troubadour ($12) – Yes this is the lead singer of Bad Religion. He's touring in support of the folk record he put out earlier this week (that I ignored). I loved a couple of those Bad Religion albums back in high school/early college (Suffer is my favorite).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean I'm not going to get a history lesson at the Upper Crust show?

Passion of the Weiss said...

BY the way...am I the only one who's heard the new TV on the Radio album and been underwhelmed. Have you heard it yet? Thoughts? It's okay. But from reading critics talk about it, they'd just released The Bends. Yeah...uh...sorry guys..not quite. And I don't even like Radiohead nearly as much as everyone else.

Anonymous said...

I have not heard the new TV On The Radio but I have to ask... Do you like any TV On The Radio? Because Jeff, if you do not there is no point in giving you a review of the fancy vinyl copy I just got in here at the store and am about to open and rock!