Thursday, August 03, 2006

Live Music Options 8/3/06 - 8/6/06

Some good stuff all weekend long.

Thursday 8/3/06
Bloc Party / Broken Social Scene / Mew @ Greek Theatre ($35)- I'd probably go to this show if it was $20, but after all the Ticketmonopoly fees it's probably like $50. I like BSS quite a bit and while I haven't listened to Bloc Party for over a year, I did like their album when it came out. Mew is just bizarre. I'm still digesting it. It's one of those things that you put on and it kinda stuns you (and not always in a good way). J Mascis on guest vocals might be the weirdest thing about the record.

Tally Hall @ Spaceland ($8) – I don’t know much about these guys but I found a great review (and some downloadable tracks) over at the Underrated Blog. They were also on the Craig Ferguson show last night.

My Brightest Diamond / Occidental @ the Echo ($8) - My Brightest Diamond will be touring with Sufjan Stevens next month. Here's a chance to see her in a more intimate setting.
Download "Something of an End"

Tsar @ Safari Sam’s ($5) – Local sleazy rock. I've managed to never see these guys and I think that's the way I like it.

Friday 8/4/06
Great Northern @ Sea Level 8:30PM (Free)

Gris Gris / Oranger / The Parson Red Heads @ the Echo ($8 adv / $10 dos) - Three solid bands. Oranger plays psych-pop. Gris Gris plays garage psych. The Parson Red Heads play Byrds-y influenced rock. I've been dying to see them.
Download Oranger's "Crones"
Download Gris Gris' "Skin Mass Cat"

Ramblin’ Jack Elliott @ Tangier ($25)- Living folk legend who influenced the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, the Grateful Dead and traveled with Woodie Guthrie (according to the All Music Guide).

Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s @ Hotel CafĂ© - Catch them on their way to San Diego's Street Scene.

Blackpool Lights @ Spaceland ($8) - Did you like the Get Up Kids? This is guitarist/singer Jim Suptic's newer band. Catch them before they go out on tour with Social Distortion.

Lords of Altamont @ Safari Sam’s ($10) - Garage rock.

Peaches / Eagles of Death Metal @ Wiltern ($25) - I'm not a fan of either of these artists but maybe you are.

The Section Quartet with Jon Brion & Sam Phillips – Could be interesting. Dinner is booked up.

Benji Hughes @ El Cid ($8)

Saturday 8/5/06
Magnolia Electric Company / Ladyhawk @ the Echo 5:00PM ($13) - I like Magnolia Electric Company's records. I might go see this if it wasn't at five in the afternoon. Download "Lonesome Valley" Ladyhawk gets compared to J Mascis and Neil Young with Crazy Horse. Download "Dugout"

Helen Stellar / Year Long Disaster @ Spaceland - Cameron Crowe likes Helen Stellar. I'm not sure if Year Long Disaster is any good or not? but the lead guitarist and singer is Dave Davies' son. According to their bio, he and the bass player smoked crack together, went to rehab together and then got the drummer from Third Eye Blind to form a band. Well alrighty then.

Ramblin’ Jack Elliott / Eleni Mandell @ Largo – Dinner is booked up.

Pop Levi @ Knitting Factory

Rock the Bells Festival @ NOS Events Center ($50-100) – Solid lineup with: Wu-Tang w/ tribute to ODB, De La Soul, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Redman and others. All you backpack rappers should probably get the VIP tickets because you'll get a free backpack. In all honesty it's a very strong lineup. Too bad it's out in San Bernardino.

Sunday 8/6/06
Giant Drag / The Submarines / Restaurant / The Upside Down @ Little Radio (Free) - Daytime barbeque. Starts at 1:00PM

Dave Insley @ the Echo 5:00PM (Free) - Now this is a show I'd go to at 5:00pm during the weekend 'cause it's the free country barbeque. Download a sample of "I'm Afraid of Dying"

Teenage Talking Cars @ the Echo (Free) - Part Time Punks

dios (malos) @ Alex’s Bar - They are one of my favorite local bands but I doubt I'll make it down to Long Beach on a Sunday night.
Download "Feels Good Being Somebody"

1 comment:

you know said...

http://www.laist.com/archives/2006/08/04/rip_arthur_lee_thanks_for_all_the_love.php