Thursday, August 24, 2006

Oh No! Oh My!


Oh No! Oh My! is a new band from Austin that's really growing on me. At first I thought they were too cutesy in an annoying way, but after three or four listens (and being in a better mood) I really like their CD. Instead of all these other dipshits who namedrop Paris Hilton (CSS), Britney (Flaming Lips), etc. they have the decency to namedrop Audrey Hepburn. At times their songs sound like other bands "Reeks and Seeks" kinda reminds me of Modest Mouse, "On the Town" has a banjo and indie twee with banjos kinda reminds me of Boy Least Likely To, "Jane is Fat" has the obligatory indie chorus which brings to mind Arcade Fire. Also the singing occasionally sounds like Jeff Mangum. I haven't read any live reviews, but it could be a lot of fun. They also played Lollapalooza (and they're unsigned).

Appearing at the Echo tonight for $8 with a really good local band, Let's Go Sailing.

I prefer Spaceland, so I'll see them tomorrow night for $8 there....

If you miss both of these shows, they'll be back on 10/7 to play the Detour Music Fest with Beck.

Another option for tonight is Don Cabellero at Spaceland. All my friends in college who were really into math rock and music with odd time signatures loved Don Cabellero. Even the LA Weekly made it a featured pick for tonight.

No comments: