Friday, August 11, 2006

Weekend Live Music Options

After mentioning that Sebadoh III reissue on Tuesday I picked it up. I hadn't listened to it in a long time and guess what....it's not as good as I remember. I've always been a Lou Barlow fan, but his more lo-fi stuff tends to be too self-indulgent for me. The record starts off so promising with "Freed Pig" and then goes downhill. Some of those lyrics about J. Mascis are pretty funny. I still like Bakesale, Bubble and Scrape and even Harmacy.

Friday 8/11/06
Jason Lytle @ Hotel Café 8:00PM – The recent Grandaddy record is a return to form. Too bad he’s not touring with a band, and too bad it’s in the middle of Hollywood on a Friday night. I'd probably go if it was anywhere else.

Diplo / CSS / Bonde de Role @ The Cooper Bldg @ 860 S. Los Angeles St. 11th floor ($17) – Diplo was in Hollertronix and laid down those beats on the MIA record. CSS is a band of art students from Brazil on the Sub Pop label. They makes my head feel like it’s going to explode, but most white guys with blogs seem to be eating it up. Probably because they like to talk about sex and pop culture. Could be a party, but I don’t know anything about this venue.
Download CSS's "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above"

Helen Stellar / Gliss / Occidental @ Knitting Factory ($7) – It’s in the front bar.

The Remains @ Safari Sam’s ($25) – It's their 1st show in 40 years (if you don't count their show last night at Amoeba). I only know them from the Nuggets box set.

Justin Timberlake @ House of Blues (Sold Out) – For whatever reason, it's acceptable for hipsters to like Justin Timberlake (for just one example, see Pitchfork's recent 5 star review of his track, "My Love"). If you go to my girlfriend's myspace page, you can hear the other single (the one critics don't seem to like much). I honestly don't get it, but then again I don't like dance music so I'm probably not the person to ask.

Benji Hughes / Brothers and Sisters @ El Cid ($8) – Apparently Benji Hughes sold out El Cid last week. Brothers and Sisters are from Austin. They’re also doing a free show at Sea Level in Echo Park on Saturday.

Saturday 8/12/06
Jason Lytle @ Hotel Café 8:00 PM – See Friday

Final Fantasy @ Little Pedro’s 901 East 1st Street ($10) – He’s the string arranger from the Arcade Fire and his album’s called He Poos Clouds. I have been to Little Pedro’s. It’s fine.

Let’s Go Sailing / Harvey Danger / Jon Auer @ Spaceland ($10) – I like Let’s Go Sailing.

Sunday 8/13/06
Death Cab For Cutie / Spoon / Mates of State @ Greek – I just looked and there still seems to be very good tickets for both nights. I've seen DCFC several times but I haven't heard their last few records. I love Spoon's records, but they're pretty boring live. And what's up with all the endorsements? I remember when they were on a major label and seemed unwilling to do anything to promote their music. I've also seen Mates of State.

Bobb Bruno @ the Smell

The Pandas / The Soft Explosions / Psychic Drive / June in July @ Spaceland – Do you like Brian Jonestown Massacre?

No comments: