Tuesday, August 15, 2006

New Releases 8/15/06

None of this new stuff interests me. If you're heading off to the record store check these out instead: White Whale (ex-Butterglory and not half bad - they're playing Spaceland soon), Oh No! Oh My! (they're playing Spaceland and the Echo soon too - at first it annoyed me, but I eventually gave in to it), Jim Noir (this is mostly interesting, but there are a few annoying songs, esp that one in those Adidas ads during the World Cup)

New Stuff:
The Damnwells: Air Stereo (Zoe) – Appearing at the Knitting Factory on 9/25.
Grand Funk Railroad: Greatest Hits CD+DVD (Capitol)
Hot Snakes: Thunder Down Under (Swami)
Monkees: The Monkees (deluxe edition) (Rhino) – The Monkees get a bad rap from some, but they’ve got a lot of great material. I don’t think I’d pick this one up for $23, if you’ve got a turntable you can probably find it in the dollar bin. The Mike Nesmith solo material is well worth seeking out.
Monkees: More of the Monkees (deluxe edition) (Rhino) – Ditto. When I was in junior high I thought “Steppin’ Stone” was a Minor Threat song.
Obie Trice: Second Round's On Me (Shady) Panic Channel: (One) (Capitol) – Jane’s Addiction without Perry. Yesterday I was just trying to decide if Jane’s Addiction’s records hold up. I kinda doubt it. I haven’t listened in eons. And what happened to Dave Navarro?
Philip Glass: Music From the Film the Illusionist (Rykodisc)
ex Pistols: Spunk: The Official Bootleg (Castle) – For a band with one album…
Sublime: Sublime (deluxe edition) (Geffen) – If I never had to hear Sublime again, things would be better.
Various Artists: Snakes on a Plane: The Album (soundtrack) (New Line) – With Cee-Lo and the Bronx. The movie opens Friday. Have you had Samuel Jackson call all of your friends yet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how could you not like "Eeany Meany" by Jim Noir? that's such a great little candy lollipop of a tune. the fat boy slim remix gives it a bit more balls

Duke said...

that damn adidas commercial almost ruined the whole album for me. maybe i'll like it when i totally forget about that commercial.