Thursday, September 28, 2006

Tonight's Live Music Options - Thurs 9/28/06

Grizzly Bear at Spaceland Tonight

This is just one those nights in LA when you can't go wrong. Sonic Youth, M. Ward and Rogue Wave are all bands that have gotten my money in the past. I haven't seen Grizzly Bear yet, so I'm recommending them. But if you haven't seen those other guys, by all means....

Tonight's Pick:
Grizzly Bear @ Spaceland ($8) – For the urban hipsters. They’re a full band now. Pitchfork (and lots of other tastemakers) absolutely loves these guys. Download “On a Neck, On a Spit

Also Playing:
Sonic Youth @ Wiltern ($25) – For those who missed them in July at Little Radio. The new album’s really good. The live show was solid (but didn’t go back too far in the catalog). They’re also playing at the Orange County Museum on Saturday night.

M. Ward / Mike Watt @ Henry Fonda ($18) – For the singer-songwriter fans. I’ve seen M. Ward a couple of times and you kind of need to know his songs to really get into his performance. He’s a really good acoustic guitar player and a very talented songwriter. If you’re a fan of the records, you’ll really appreciate it.

Rogue Wave / Jason Collett @ Vanguard Theatre ($15) – For the indie rockers. I really like the Rogue Wave records. I’ve seen them a couple of times and been unimpressed. There’s just something about the lead singer that bugs me when I have to look at him for long periods of time. I know that I’m being completely unfair. Maybe it’s his affinity for thumb rings? He’s a good songwriter, so that really shouldn’t matter. I know. Jason Collett’s one of the many people in Broken Social Scene who releases solo albums too.

Eskimo Hunter @ the Echo (Free)
The Gossip / Mika Miko @ Troubadour ($12)

4 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

are you and the missus gonna be at spaceland tonight...Im going to check out this so-called Grizzly bear...the album is actually pretty good.it's grown on me..

Duke said...

how was it? i wanted to go down, but just couldn't get the energy together. i suck.

Passion of the Weiss said...

they were awesome...surprisingly so...but just straight up awesome..that band is legit in my book

Duke said...

sorry i missed it. i always miss the good ones...