Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Where to Party - 9/6/06

Wednesday 9/6/06
The Zombies / Mooney Suzuki / Phantom Planet / The Holograms @ Avalon ($20) – The first time I saw the Zombies I loved it. The second time, I didn’t love it as much. Colin Blunstone’s still capable of hitting those high notes. Odessey & the Oracle is an amazing album, it ranked #8 on my all time favorite albums back on Halloween 2005. I suggest you pick it up immediately. It will improve your mood.

Tribute to Gene Clark @ Safari Sam’s ($7) – Gene Clark wrote many of the best original early Byrds’ songs (“I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better,” “Set You Free This Time” and “She Don’t Care About Time”) and went on to be one of the great early country-rock guys. I highly recommend the two disc compilation Flying High if you’re looking for an entry point (and then get No Other at some point too). Some of my favorite Clark songs are: “Tried So Hard,” “Full Circle Song,” and “Why Not Your Baby.” You’ll get a free copy of a new tribute CD if you show up tonight to see Carla Olsen and The Quarter After perform Clark’s songs.

Also appearing:
Deerhoof @ Troubadour ($15) – One of those bands everybody but me seems to love. Download “Sealed With a Kiss

Snowden @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – Download “Anti-Anti

The Grates @ Spaceland ($8) – Should be a good party. This is the first night of the new NME (the British hype machine magazine) club on Wednesdays at Spaceland. Tim Burgess of the Charlatans and Fab Morretti of the Strokes will be guest DJs. Pitchfork reviewed their album today, and I pretty much feel the same way about it….

James Brown @ the Hollywood Bowl ($1 - $120) – One of the great things about LA is that you can see legends like JB for $1 at the Hollywood Bowl. Those tix are sold out, but $30 tix remain.

No comments: