Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Top Five New CD Releases 9/12/06


Lots of great new stuff. Get your ass down to the record store and buy something. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to anything in the other releases area. Anybody have any recommendations? I think I'd probably like the Lucksmiths if I ever got around to it....

Top Five New Music Releases:

Junior Boys: So This Is Goodbye (Domino) - For the electro-pop fans. This one has treated me well as driving music. Pitchfork loved it but my girlfriend thinks it sounds like thrown away Jimmy Tamborello beats. I'd go somewhere between the two reviews. Many fans of Postal Service should be pleased. Live at the Troubadour on 9/25.

Justin Timberlake: Future Sex/Love Sounds (Jive) - For the radio pop fans. I've gotta admit that I think that "Sexy Back" song is damn catchy. I haven't made it through the rest of the record though.

Mastodon: Blood Mountain (Reprise) - For the heavy rockers. If you like really heavy music, they're pretty damn good. I saw them at the Troubadour on their last tour and there were a lot of guys from heavy MTV bands like Korn there. See them at the Henry Fonda on 9/29. I haven't heard this new record yet.

TV On the Radio: Return to Cookie Mountain (4AD) - For the art rockers. I wasn't a big fan of their last record, but I really like this one (especially the first half). See them at the Hollywood Bowl on on 9/24.

Yo La Tengo: I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (Matador) - For the indie rockers. Not their best record, but it's so much better than their last record. If you swore to never buy another Yo La Tengo record after that one, give them another shot. See them live at the Fonda on 10/23.

Also released - The Album Leaf: Into The Blue Again (Sub Pop), Angela Desveaux: Wandering Eyes (Thrill Jockey), Basement Jaxx: Crazy Itch Radio (XL Recordings), Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian: Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian (Nonesuch), The Black Keys: Magic Potion (Nonesuch), Catfish Haven: Tell Me (Secretly Canadian), Dead Moon: Echoes of the Past (Sub Pop) – Best of collection, Great Lakes: Diamond Times (Empyrean), Kunek: Flight of the Flynns (Playtyme), Lucksmiths: Why That Doesn't Surprise Me (reissue) (Candle) – Reissue from 2001, Magnolia Electric Co.: Fading Trails (Secretly Canadian), The Mars Volta: Amputechture (Universal), Mouse On Mars: Varcharz (Ipecac), Now It's Overhead: Dark Light Daybreak (Saddle Creek), OOIOO: Taiga (Thrill Jockey), Page France: Hello Dear Wind (Suicide Squeeze), Poems: Young America (Minty Fresh), R.E.M.: And I Feel Fine... The Best of The I.R.S. Years 1982-1987 (Capitol), Richard Buckner: Meadow (Merge), Slumber Party: Musik (Kill Rock Stars), Two Ton Boa: Parasiticide (Kill Rock Stars), Viva Voce: Get Yr Blood Sucked Out (Barsuk), Xiu Xiu: The Air Force (5RC)Young Widows: Settle Down City (Jade Tree)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you asked for a recommendation
i'd like to recommend the new band
the poems. the cd young america is
on the minty fresh label. i think it is a masterpiece and i hope you like it as much as me.

Anonymous said...

just remembered their myspace

www.myspace.com/thepoemssmusic

Anonymous said...

doh..

that should be

www.myspace.com/thepoemsmusic