Friday, September 29, 2006

Tonight's Music Picks Friday 9/29

Mastodon Plays the Henry Fonda Tonight
Tonight's Pick: Mastodon / The Bronx @ the Fonda ($15) – They're not the kind of guys I normally party with, but I saw Mastodon at the Troubadour on their last tour and it was a good time. I haven’t heard the new record yet, but Pitchfork loved it. They’re incredibly tight and if you like heavy music you definitely won’t be bored. The Bronx are a local punk band that packed Spaceland during their Monday night residency.

or: Mojave 3 / Brightback Morning Light @ the Roxy ($20) – I’m a big Mojave 3 fan, but I’m making their McCabe’s show on Sunday night my pick instead, because it’s so painful to try to make it to the Roxy on a Friday night. Brightback Morning Light doesn’t have this show listed on their website, but the Roxy does. I’m guessing it has something to do with their recent performance at the Troubadour. Apparently they really fucking hate LA. I say, if you can’t enjoy playing at the Troubadour, then fuck you.
Also Playing:
The Muffs @ Safari Sam’s ($10) – Veterans and all around good people.
Occidental @ Pehr Space – Not so veteran, but definitely good people. Download “implied ii
Jon Brion @ Largo – He’s been away for awhile, so you better get there early.
Kind Hearts & Coronets / Bodies of Water @ Spaceland
Two Dollar Guitar / The Deadly Syndrome @ El Cid ($8) – Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth. You don't get a chance to see these guys very often. The Deadly Syndrome is a new local indie band with some promising sounding demos. Download the Deadly Syndrome's "I Hope I Become a Ghost"
Del the Funky Homosapien @ Knitting Factory ($20)
Eleni Mandell / Becky Stark @ the Getty (Free)
Starsailor / Peter Walker @ Troubadour ($23)

No comments: