Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Night Music Options - 7/12/07

Dr. Dog Play the Echo Tonight





Tonight's one of those nights where I'd like to be in three or four places at once....
Tonight's Pick:
Dr. Dog / Delta Spirit / The Teeth @ the Echo ($12) – I’m loving Dr. Dog right now, so I’m really looking forward to this show. Sylvia even took off work to see them. Aaron from the Switch told me their recent show at the Troubadour was the best show he’s seen in years. They’re well versed in the Beatles and Beach Boys. Download “Ain’t It Strange” and “Worst Trip
Also Recommended:
Everest / Two Sheds / Chairlift / Jackpot @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – If I wasn’t going to Dr. Dog I’d be at this show. Everest are the (newest) local band that I’m most excited about seeing. Their kind of like a local super group with: Russ Pollard, Jason Soda, Joel Graves, Rob Douglas and Davey Latter. The songs on their Myspace page sound great - along the lines of Neil Young and the new Wilco. They’ll be holed up in the studio with producer Mike Terry for most of August and then hopefully out to play more shows.
The Switch / The Sharp Things @ the Mint ($7) – The Sharp Things are a Brooklyn based band that will have a 12-piece band with strings and horns. The Switch is one of my favorite local bands at the moment. Tonight they’re doing a rare acoustic show and might throw in some covers.
The Little Ones / The Pity Party @ Hammer Museum (Free) – The Little Ones put out my favorite local release last year. The Pity Party are a local band that recently exploded on the scene and have already toured with the Raveonettes.
Patrick Park / Emma Burgess @ Spaceland ($8) – The talented local singer-songwriter continues his residency. I enjoyed myself last week at the show.
Rocky Votalato / Langhorne Slim @ Troubadour ($12) – Presented by our friend the Aquarium Drunkard. Download Votalato’s “Postcard from Kentucky
The Front / The Monolators / The Transmissions / Wait Think Fast @ the Scene – Our friend the Rock Inside is presenting this show tonight.
Low End Theory: Daedelus @ Echoplex ($10)

No comments: