Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Highlights from Tuesdays Live Calendar - 9/4/07

Okkervil River Play the Troubadour Tonight

I've been hiding out south of the border for a few days (hence the lack of posts). Now I'm tired and my stomach's jacked up so I probably won't make it out until Friday night.
Tuesday's Pick:
Okkervil River / Damien Jurado / Western Keys @ Troubadour (Sold Out) – The new album from Austin’s Okkervil River has got a really good shot at sneaking onto my top 10 list for the year. Will Sheff and company have made their best album yet. Damien Jurado’s well worth checking out too. Unfortunately I neglected to get tickets.
Download Okkervil River’s “Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe
Other Options:

Kennedy / Eastern Conference Champions @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – The first time I saw Kennedy was opening for Patton Oswalt on one of the comedy nights at Largo. I'd never heard of him and I found it very amusing as he stipped down to leopard skin panties. If you just want some good time comedy disco, Kennedy’s your man. His new album (out September 25th on a Warner-related label) starts out with a bang. There’s also a great song in the vein of Beck, that pretty blows away Beck’s new single “Timebomb.”
Download Kennedy’s “Your Mama” and “Mama Made Me a Pimp

Clipse @ Roxy ($25) – For the hip-hop fans. Late show starts at 10:15 PM.

The Advantage / Them Hills / Abe Vigoda @ the Echo ($8) – For the experimental noisier rock fans. I assume their still doing Nintendo 8-bit covers.

The Youngs / Marvelous Toy / The Health Club @ the Scene ($5) – Local indie.

No comments: