Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday Night Music Options 3/23/07

Elvis Perkins Tonight at the Echo
Friday’s Pick:
Elvis Perkins / Let’s Go Sailing @ the Echo ($15) – I finally got Elvis Perkins new record. The first half is definitely intense. I’ve seen him open for the Pernice Brothers and My Morning Jacket this year, and he’s a compelling performer. As I mentioned yesterday, Let’s Go Sailing had two songs on Grey’s Anatomy last night and appeared live on Morning Becomes Eclectic yesterday. Bravo.

Also recommended:
The Parson Red Heads @ The Unknown Theatre ($5) – The Parson Red Heads are one my favorite bands to see live in LA right now. They’re a whole lotta fun. The music’s along the lines of early Byrds and Beachwood Sparks. Although white jeans do make your junk look funny.
Birds of Avalon / Crime in Choir / Metalchicks @ Spaceland ($8) – I have a feeling I’m going to make it out to this show for a while tonight. I’m curious about Metalchicks (featuring Sugar from Buffalo Daughter and Yuka who has played with OOIOO and DMBQ). Download Bird of Avalon's "Set You Free" and "Bicentennial Baby" The band features two of the guys from The Cherry Valence. Crime in Choir is an instrumental prog band featuring original members of At the Drive In and the Fucking Champs.

I don’t know enough about these:
Heavens @ Troubadour (Sold Out) – Alkaline Trio offshoot. Kind of emo. Kind of Depeche Mode. Paulo Nutini @ Avalon ($18) – Very young, Scottish, blue eyed soul singer. If you like James “You’re Beautiful” Blunt you might want to check him out.
Good on Paper / Panda & Angel @ Pehr Space ($5) – Nice all ages action. Download Panda & Angel’s “Dangerous

No comments: