Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Night Music Options 3/22/07


I hate to shit where I eat, but last night I went to check out Besnard Lakes, Dirty on Purpose and Helio Sequence at the new ExPlex (under the Echo). Besnard Lakes took the stage (maybe (9:45ish). Very powerful - high falsetto, guitar jamming. They sounded great - even better than their record. I was really getting into it. During the fourth song I see the sound guy approach the stage and hold up one finger. My friend turned to me, "One song left? how long have they been playing." As they finish this fourth song, the sound guy walks back to the soundboard and cranks up the Arcade Fire's new record. So much for that one song. Maybe a 25 minute set. Tops. As I drank my $9 Maker's Mark and Soda and thought about the $12 I'd paid to get in, I got a little annoyed. Keep in mind, Besnard is a touring band from Montreal on a big indie label, not some guys who hauled their equipment over from their practice space in Highland Park. Next up was Dirty On Purpose from Brooklyn. I wasn't that into what they were doing, but they definitely had a crowd there enjoying them. Without warning, after about their fifth song the Arcade Fire erupts through the PA again. The band was stunned "We were promised 45 minutes. How many more songs do we have?" Arcade Fire blaring. The band was like, "Sorry guys. I promise if you come see us in Costa Mesa tomorrow we'll play a full set." About 11:10 the Helio Sequence took the stage. I stuck around until about midnight and left. Not sure what was going on with the short set times (the same thing happened when I saw Kelley Stoltz upstairs), but I do know I'm about $42 poorer and only got to see the band I liked for 25 minutes. All three bands are playing the Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa tonight. I highly recommend seeing the Besnard Lakes. For a similar perspective check out Little Radio's review HERE. I saw a few other blogger/writers there, including Jeff Weiss who apparently contributes to the LA Times now. Wonder what they thought of it all? Oh yeah, the ExPlex is pretty cool and it's got guys in the bathroom that watch you pee (and try to sell you gum). Hopefully the short set times was a one time situation.
Anybody else listen to Let’s Go Sailing on KCRW’s Morning Becomes Eclectic this morning? Very nice. You can watch it HERE. Also tune into Grey’s Anatomy tonight as two of their songs will be featured. Their debut album gets re-released next Tuesday.

Thursday's Pick:
Apples in Stereo / Page France / Headlights @ Spaceland ($15) – Great lineup for the indie pop fans. Apples in Stereo have their first album out in five years and I think it’s their best one yet. If you like all the new, manic indie pop bands, but aren’t familiar with Apples, do yourself a favor and see them tonight. Did you know Elijah Wood has a record label in the UK and Apples in Stereo is his first release? Me neither. Download Page France’s “Hat and Rabbit” and “Junkyard” Download Headlights’ “TV” and “Tokyo
Also intriguing:
Luke Paquin / Tobias Froberg @ Tangier ($10) – Is Tobias Froberg the next Swedish sensation? Alan McGee (Creation Records) apparently thinks so; he just signed him to his Poptones label. Go over to Froberg’s Myspace and listen to “God’s Highway” and tell me it doesn’t sound like Paul Simon. Luke Paquin is the guitarist in Hot Hot Heat. He’s doing the singer-songwriter thing around town. Anybody see him yet?
Hell Ya! Night: The Explorers Club @ the Echo (Free for 21+, $5 for the non-legals) – The Explorers Club does a ridiculously good of sounding like the Beach Boys. I’m really intrigued by them. If only I hadn’t stayed out until 1:30 last night…….
Anavan @ the Smell ($5)
Beck @ the Echo (Sold Out) - Early show at 8:00PM.
Other Stuff:
Badly Drawn Boy / Adem @ El Rey ($24) – Badly Drawn Boy’s music is in that new Hummer commercial. Adem will also be at Tangier on 3/30.
Rod Stewart @ Staples Center ($125) – I just pulled up 12th row tickets on Ticketmaster. I didn’t buy them, but I was just checking to see what was available. Yeah, Rod’s become a little bit of a joke, but he’s got a great catalog. Walk around Silver Lake for ten minutes and you’ll see how influential Faces were (especially on rock ‘n’ roll fashion). The music’s undeniable too. His first seven or so studio albums are also worth looking at too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you basically listened to more of the new Arcade Fire album than watched live acts that you paid for and someone watched you take a leak. Sounds fun.
Markers Mark and soda?

Also, I've decided that beards are the new trucker hats. There are so many that you can do games like travel games, when you would punch your brother everytime you saw a VW bug. Its like that.

Duke said...

the beards have definitely taken over. jeff weiss (passion of the weiss) cleverly titles all of his live reviews "Beards, Blazers and Glasses" as a nod to the three very prominent fashion choices...