Monday, March 05, 2007

Monday Night Music Options 3/5/07

The Airborne Toxic Event Plays the Echo Every Monday in March


Wilco’s got a new MP3 up on their site. It’s mellow, pretty and even has some pedal steel guitar in it. I’m looking forward to that new record on May 15th. Download (zip file) “What Light

If you think you know something about music, go work in an indie record store for a couple of days (like I did at Sea Level this weekend). People ask you about the most random stuff, and then act surprised that you don’t know about it. It’s also impossible to stock everything people are going to want. This weekend people asked for An*l Cu*t, Eugene Chadbourne, Laurie Anderson, Linkin Park and a lot of stuff we actually had (Menomena was a big seller). On Saturday Bad Religion came in and did a photo shoot. I really liked their album Suffer,

Monday's Pick:
Airborne Toxic Event / The Happy Hollows / Radars to the Sky / Low vs. Diamond @ the Echo (Free) – The Airborne Toxic Event is doing the Echo’s Monday night residency in March. While some bands gig for years before they find an audience, the Airborne Toxic Event seemingly sold out shows from day one. Their music is British-inspired, catchy and big on melody. It comes off heavier in the live setting than on the demos. Tonight’s lineup also includes three other promising local bands. The Happy Hollows are getting a lot of local buzz right now. They play high energy indie rock. Low vs. Diamond is heading over to the UK to play some shows with the Sounds and Under the Influence of Giants. They’ve already gotten a lot of good buzz over there.
Also Recommended:
Great Northern / The Pity Party @ Viper Room ($10 or free with RSVP) – Make sure you email one of the bands to get on the list. I heard a little bit of Great Northern live on Indie 103.1 last night. They recently signed to Eenie Meenie, and their new album (which is quite good) comes out on May 15th. They’re playing some high profile parties at SXSW, so expect to start hearing some national buzz very soon. The Pity Party are another promising new local band. They’re heading to the east coast soon to open six gigs for the Raveonettes.
Fiona Apple / Jon Brion / David Garza @ Largo ($75) – A couple of weeks ago I wondered in writing just how much Jon Brion fans would be willing to pay to see him play at Largo. Luckily $75 isn’t the regular price, instead this is a benefit for Fiona Apple’s friend Gungi. Great musicians for a great cause. Reservations are booked up, but you might be able to sneak in by the bar.
I may not know much about them, but at least it's free:
Berko / Langhorne Slim / Panda Band @ Spaceland (Free)
Castledoor / Buffalo Roam @ Silverlake Lounge (Free)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey music fans, I am the former managing editor of Filter Magazine. I've just about had it with my day job. I've decided that instead of writing about bands I'd like to start a band myself! My favorite bands are The Smiths and The Arcade Fire. I want this band to sound exactly like those bands. The problem is that I want to get really famous really quick, so we are going to have to throw a little Killers in there too. How does that strike your fancy?

Next thing is, we have to be *literary* so the indie kids will dig us and so the snooby SOB's at Pitchfork will write us a good review. Now, you and I both know that indie kids don't really read books (and neither do the wanna be Arthur Magazine hacks at Pitchfork), but they do know the titles and authors because they passed English 101 at Vassar and both are referenced in their favorite songs. So here's what we are going to do. We're going to name our band after a key event in a famous book, "White Noise", by renowned po-mo author, Don DeLillo. That should give us some instant hipster cred with LA Times writer Kevin Bronson. Don't you think? If it doesn't I'll just sleep with him to make sure we get a great review.

Next thing is we need the bloggers and writers on our side, right? So I am going to use my connections at Filter Magazine (who bands pay to get reviews by the way) to get on the good side of some gatekeepers.

Last but not least, we are going to have to have have a kickass live show. I've already enlisted the help of some attractive people who have some talent and make funny faces while they play. Also our drummer is great at 4 to the floor kick drum solos!

I am thinking of having our first show at 14 Below and not inviting anyone except a few fashion consultants. After each song we will stop playing and ask the consultants what they thought of our moves on stage. (I really really did this....uh, I mean plan to do this). Also, we choreograph our dances on stage. Like boy bands. Is that cool with you?

Oh yeah last thing, really, although I'm from the United States I sing with a British accent. I listened to too much Morrisey growing up. Also, all my songs are about teenage girls in their summer dresses even though I'm a 34 year old man. Is that a problem?