Sunday, November 12, 2006

Monday Night Music Picks 11/13/06

Let's Go Sailing Plays Tonight at Spaceland



Tonight's Pick:

Let's Go Sailing / The Deadly Syndrome / The Western States Motel @ Spaceland (Free) - I haven't been to a free Monday at Spaceland for a while, but "tonight's the night." Three up and coming LA bands that I really want to see. Let's Go Sailing is Shana Levy with a rotating cast of musicians from other popular LA bands like: Irving, Silversun Pickups, Goldenboy, Elvis Perkins, Possum Dixon, Beachwood Sparks. She first got my attention when I heard her songs in a friend's short film. They've got a new full lengh that will be available at the show. The Deadly Syndrome is a new local band that seemed to erupt out of nowhere and now plays everywhere. Their demos sound good and the other LA bloggers are giving them a lot of love. Download The Deadly Syndrome's "I Hope I Become a Ghost" The Western States Motel are another new band. I got a copy of their CD in the mail and it's quite good. You might be pleasantly reminded of Grandaddy on one song or the Shins on the next song. Radio Free Silver Lake is a big fan too.

Also Playing:
The Mae Shi @ Il Corral - Tonight you've got two choices if you're into abrasive, experimenal punk music. This the local choice and naturally the one I would pick.
The Parson Red Heads / Stevenson Ranch Davidians / Bound Stems @ Knitting Factory ($8) - I'm a big Parson Red Heads fan. As their website says, they play: "60's rock/psychedelic/folk music, with hint of indie pop - full of 4 part harmonies, jangely guitar leads, and dance-able, tambourine-tinged rythyms." (Get a spell checker guys). They play all the time, so their live show is really good. If you can't make it out tonight, they're doing the Monday Echo residency in December. I've heard good things about the other two bands too.
Goldenboy @ Viper Room (Free with RSVP to Goldenboy) - Local indie pop band on the Eenie Meenie label. Download "Second Day of the Year"
Wolf Eyes / Great Northern @ the Echo ($10) - Great Northern's free residency is interrupted by a touring band. Wolf Eyes are a Detroit based Sub Pop band that plays abrasive, experimental music. Download "The Driller"
Sparta / Sound Team / As Tall as Lions @ Avalon ($15) - Bloggers were all over Sound Team for a bit.
Clipse @ House of Blues ($20) - Hip hop fans.
The Vacation / Run Run Run / Foreign Born @ Safari Sam's
Heather Porcaro / Venus Hum / Kristoffer Ragnstom @ Hotel Cafe
Damien Rice @ El Rey Theatre (Sold Out) - Very precious Irish singer-songwriter. If you're a fan, this will be a great place to see him. I saw him at the Fonda a few years back and there were lots of technical difficulties.
Indigo Girls @ Wiltern ($35) - For the patchouli set.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Forgot About The Red Hot Chili Peppers At The Roxy.

Anonymous said...

Or did you?

Duke said...

sorry to be a hater, but when i hear the RHCP in the year 2006 it makes me do the leonardo dicaprio (drop to my knees, raise my arms into the sky and shout "why" at the heavens). but indie 103 and KROQ just can't seem to get enough....

Spider Monkey Jones said...

Duke turns off the lights and dances to Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

Joe Fielder said...

Oh, you were there at Spaceland? Crap. I didn't see you. Fun show, eh?

크레이지슬롯 said...

Hello, I'm happy to see some great articles on your site. Would you like to come to my site later? My site also has posts, comments and communities similar to yours. Please visit and take a look 크레이지슬롯