Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wednesday Night Music Options 11/1/06

Is this one of my favorite new bands or a Banana Republic ad?

Tonight's Pick
Voxtrot / Low vs. Diamond / Yellow Fever @ the Troubadour ($12) – For the indie pop fans. Austin’s Voxtrot is one of my favorite new bands. They’ve got a new EP/single coming out next week and it’s fantastic. I get so excited when a publicist sends me something that I had every intention of buying (of course now I’ll also hunt it down on vinyl). If you like Belle & Sebastian and C86 stuff, then you should check them out. I hear they’re a little over active in the live setting, but I’m glad to finally be in town when they’re playing. Download “Trouble” Speaking of C86, there’s a great import compilation called CD86 that celebrates all those bands. A couple of weeks ago I was bitching about nothing coming out, then I went to Sea Level and found that. I was only familiar with some of the bands. Some very nice surprises on there.

Also Appearing:
Brian Wilson / Scritti Politti @ Royce Hall (Sold Out) – He’s celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Pet Sounds. I’ve only seen him do the Smile tour (twice) and I loved it. I’m sad I didn’t get tickets for this. The last time I ranked my top albums of all times, Pet Sounds came in #2. There’s a Brian Wilson action figure available on his site. If anybody’s wondering what to get me for Christmas (the signed one please). Nothing against Scritt Politti but why are they opening this show?

Bob Lind / Mark Fosson @ Little Pedro’s ($8) – Bob Lind was an early folk rocker who had one hit “Elusive Butterfly.” He’s been covered by Cher, Glen Campbell, Eric Clapton, Aretha Franklin, Dolly Parton and many more. Mark Fosson recorded an album for John Fahey’s label in the late 1970s which got lost due to financial problems. Drag City just put it out. He plays quality fingerpicked acoustic guitar songs.

Jamie Lidell @ Safari Sam’s ($23) – You’re favorite neo-soul singer with a laptop. Beck took him out on tour and Pitchfork loves him. I must be missing something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't at the Brian Wilson show, but I read that Al Jardine played with him.