Friday, November 17, 2006

Saturday Music Options 11/18/06



Sorry for forgetting to mention that the Deadly Syndrome and Watson Twins were playing last night. The Deadly Syndrome are new favorites and the Watson Twins are very talented. It's been an off week here at You Set the Scene.

Saturday 11/18/06
Tonight's Pick:
The Movies / The Lassie Foundation @ Spaceland ($8) - You already know I'm a big fan of the Movies. If I get out of Sean Lennon at a decent hour, I'll try to make it over. Lead singer Timothy James has a really skewed sense of humor that filters through his lyrics. He's manic and very entertaining on stage (which I pointed out in my open letter to Beck). As a bonus, this is Kevin Bronson's birthday party. Kevin does a great job covering the local scene for the LA Times. Expect to see a lot of your favorite local musicians showing their support for Kevin and the Movies. Download "If I Had the Cash"

Also see:
The Airborne Toxic Event @ Sea Level 2:00PM (Free) - I was impressed with the little bit of their set I saw at Spaceland on Wednesday. Their live sound is louder and more rocking than their demos suggest. They incorporate strings, keyboards and serious guitar chops. If you're a label scout you should check them out soon.

Also appearing:
Sean Lennon @ El Rey (Sold Out) - This is where I'll be and I'm excited to finally check out the new renovated El Rey theatre. Apparently Goldenvoice bought it and did a complete makeover (while maintaining its beautiful art deco feel). His new album is a huge step up from his first record. He's been studying his Jon Brion (who obviously studied his dad's work) records and even hired his engineer. The performances are all great and the record sounds lush. I recommend immediately throwing away the vanity DVD that comes along with the CD. In it you'll see Lennon act in music videos with Bijou Phillips, Asia Argento, Lindsey Lohan, etc. It left me feeling icky.
Split Lip Rayfield @ Troubadour ($15) - I always try to support bands from Kansas. They play bluegrass/country with punk rock speed and attitude.
Hot Chip @ the Fonda (Sold Out) - DFA artists. Both the hipsters and nerdy music bloggers love these guys. Electro-pop with clever lyrics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how come you never mention shows at the coconut teaser???? LA'S HOTTEST ROCK CLUB!!!!

GET IT TOGETHER DUKE!!!!