Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Top Five New CD Releases 10/31/06

I can't fully recommend any of this stuff yet. I'm still waiting for a copy of the Gob Iron, I'll do a post once I get it. Tuesday was also the release of the My Morning Jacket live DVD. There was a Jeff Tweedy live DVD release that I neglected to mention last week. Haven't seen either one yet, but as far as live DVDs go, they're probably pretty good.

Top Five New Releases:
Gob Iron: Death Songs for the Living (Sony) – Jay Farrar (Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo) and Anders Parker (Varnaline) got together and recorded a bunch of American folk songs. I haven’t heard it yet, but expect a copy in the mail, so I’ll do a review once I get it. See them live at the Troubadour on 12/5. Aquarium Drunkard has some songs available for downloading.

Isis: In the Absence of Truth (Ipecac) – I’d heard a bunch of great things and knew they were a heavy band, but was still surprised when I threw this one in the CD player. Honestly, I have a really hard time getting past the guttural voice. It’s intense, sludge metal. I need to listen to it a little more before passing judgement. They just toured with Tool, no new dates scheduled.

Willie Nelson: Songbird (Lost Highway) – This is Willie’s pairing with Ryan Adams’ band the Cardinals. Adams produces and (I’m assuming) selected the material. You can picture Adams sitting around listening to the Loretta Lynn album that Jack White produced and the Cash records that Rick Rubin produced and thinking to himself, “who could I get.” Maybe he thought about Haggard or Jones, but ultimately settled on Nelson for the hip factor along with Nelson’s willingness to do anything. Well, he covers the Grateful Dead, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons and a bunch of others on this collection. The advance I got (and it looks a lot like a final copy) doesn’t have any songwriting credits. I call bullshit, since most of these songs are covers. Anyway, the album’s the kind of thing that if you’re an Adams or Nelson fan you’ll probably listen to it a couple of times as a novelty but I doubt if it will take up permanent residence in your collection. Nelson’s singing on the album is just ok and some of Adams’ arrangements are pretty bad. Overall Grade: C+

Various Artists: Borat soundtrack (Atlantic) – I’ll be there on Friday night. I’m a bit less convinced that I need this soundtrack though. Music and comedy routines from Sacha Baron Cohen. Also includes five minutes of video outtakes from the movie.

The Who: Endless Wire (Republic) – The Who (the surviving two anyway) return with their first studio album in over 20 years. Most people seem to think it’s a little inconsistent, but has a lot of redeeming points too. See them at the Hollywood Bowl on 11/4 and 11/5.


Also Released:
Anders Parker: Anders Parker (Baryon Records) – Former Varnaline dude. See him live at the Troubadour on 12/5.
Animal Collective: Hollinndagain (Paw Tracks) – Live album from 2001. You probably have to be a fan.
The Bird and the Bee: Again and Again and Again and Again EP (Blue Note) – Includes a Peaches remix. At the Avalon on 11/8.
The Exploding Hearts: Shattered (Dirtnap)
Lady Sovereign: Public Warning (Def Jam) – Def Jam’s first female MC (from South London no less). Live at El Rey on 11/15.
Malajube: Trompe-L’Oeil (Ninja Tune)
Nellie McKay: Pretty Little Head (Black Dove) – Long and rambling two disc debut with duets with Cyndi Lauper and kd lang.
Meat Loaf: Bat Out of Hell III (Virgin) – Dramatic rock. I still haven’t heard it.
Sunno))) and Boris: Altar (Southern Lord) – Heavy Japanese rockers and intense drone rockers collaborate. It’s probably a bit too much for me.

No comments: