Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thursday Night Music Options 11/2/06

Cheap Trick - As They Were
Voxtrot was quite good last night at the Troubadour. They ended up selling it out. There were lots of younger kids (always makes me happy that not all of them listen to My Chemical Romance). After a slow start, they really warmed up and by the end of the show were loud and enthusiastic. They're still a very young band and will only get better with touring. I never saw Belle & Sebastian in the early days (few did) but it was supposedly a train wreck. Voxtrot seemed to be having a good time and were very appreciative of the audience. They played most of my favorites and a few new songs. That kid's such a good writer - very impressive. I picked up the new limited edition 7". Only 500 were made. I recommend you do the same.
Tonight's Pick:
Cheap Trick @ Wiltern ($37.50) – Will it be worth $50 (after all the Ticketmonoply fees)? Probably not, but it should be fun. While their new album is supposed to be surprisingly good, I’d still be hoping for a lot of material of the first five records. Listening to Cheap Trick always makes me think of Mike Damone in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. They’re power pop legends and wrote ten or so great tunes: “I Want You to Want Me,” “The Dream Police,” “Surrender,” “ELO Kiddies,” etc. “She’s Tight” was one of my favorite songs when I was eight.
Also Appearing:
Mouse on Mars / Daedelus / Carmen Rizzo @ the Echo ($15) – German, post-rock critical darlings. Their website says that the new album is “nine tracks of energetic impulses, heavy riffing from grained sounds and canned percussion, and slamming bottom end insanity provided by notorious sequenced bass and kick drum jolts.”
Rocco DeLuca @ Troubadour ($12) – He’s signed to Kiefer Sutherland’s label and is supposedly an all around cool guy. He plays blues rock in the vein of Zeppelin or White Stripes.
Fairmona / Castaneda / Moving Picture Show @ Spaceland
Alchemist w/ Ras Kass @ Knitting Factory ($20)
Mere Mortals @ Silverlake Lounge ($7)
Regina Spektor @ the Avalon ($21.50) - She loves the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow and that’s not OK in my book.
Shelby Lynne / The Watson Twins @ El Rey ($24) – Have you guys seen the new sign at El Rey? Such a nice piece of architecture. Did Wolfgang Puck really buy it?
The Guggenheim Grotto / The Good Listeners @ Hotel Café ($15)

No comments: