Monday, November 27, 2006

Monday Night Music Picks 11/27/06

See Jim Fairchild Tonight at the Echo

I blew off the blog for a few days while I was in Vegas. I saw my Kansas Jayhawks beat the defending national champs in basketball. I hope you went out and supported live music. Anybody see Tussle or Dirty on Purpose or Talib Kweli? Before I left town I saw the Pernice Brothers at Spaceland. Great show. Along with the time I saw them at Stubbs (inside) in Austin, it was one of the best I've seen them play. They played a lot of the songs I hoped for, including that Zombies' cover.
Tonight's Pick:
Great Northern / Irving / All Smiles (Jim Fairchild of Grandaddy) @ the Echo (Free) - Everybody's really looking forward to seeing Jim Fairchild's new band, All Smiles. They cut an album for Dangerbird records that will come out in January. You can download some tracks at All Smiles' Myspace page. Irving join their new label mates, Great Northern for the last night of Great Northern's residency. Great Northern's record will come out in May on Eenie Meenie Records.
Let’s Go Sailing / Charlie Wadhams @ Spaceland (Free) - This is the last night of Let's Go Sailing's residency too. So many of Let's Go Sailing's songs have the emotional resonance that will work so well in film and television. It's only a matter of time before you hear them all over the place.

5 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

I know Im really lame for leaving early in the Pernice's set (this is what I get for bringing the concert rookie squad) but they were really good...I need to pick up some of their albums.

Anonymous said...

you hitting the Echo tonight, Lord Duke?

Anonymous said...

I saw Tussle last night at the echo, they were excellent. The bass player was playing these insane grooves. They even played a cover of Can's Vitamin C. A must see band.

Anonymous said...

I saw a girl last night at the Echo -- she was excellent. She was playing these insane grooves. She even made me cover a can with vitamin C. A must see girl.

Duke said...

i like tussle and think they're a good live band, but after seven hours in the car (stupid vegas traffic) i couldn't make it out. i will try to make it to the echo tonight.....