Friday, October 27, 2006

Alias & Tarsier Perform at the Echo Tonight
I tried to point out a little something for everybody.
Tonight's Pick:
Alias & Tarsier / Electric President / Occidental @ the Echo ($10) – For the Anticon / indie electronica/ hip hop crowd. I got the new Alias & Tarsier record in the mail and it’s good. Breathy female vocals and beats that go all over the place. Not a genre I listen to regularly, so I can’t write too intelligently about it. Electric President is a Morr music band which gives them some instant cred. Maybe a little Postal Service and a little Moby in their sound. Get there early and check out my friends Occidental. They play instrumental spacey indie music augmented by electronics.
Also Appearing:
Figurines / Mellowdrone @ Spaceland ($8) – For the indie rockers. Figurines are a Danish indie rock band that gets compared to Modest Mouse and Built to Spill. Download this track and you’ll understand immediately “The Wonder” – It’s a good track.
Heavens / Darker My Love @ Troubadour (Sold Out) – The dude from the Alkaline Trio making music influenced by Depeche Mode. Surprisingly the one track I’ve heard is better than most bands that try to sound like Depeche Mode. Darker My Love are a local psych-rock band that puts on a powerful live show.
John Prine / Jim James @ Wilshire Ebell (Sold Out) – John Prine’s a legendary folk singer-songwriter. I’ve only got his first record. “Hello In There” is a touching song about aging and loneliness. Jim James is the lead singer of My Morning Jacket. I’ve seen him do the acoustic solo thing before and it’s powerful. That big voice works well even without the electric guitar jams, head banging and heavy reverb. Hopefully the My Morning Jacket fans give Prine the respect he’s earned.
Mike Stinson @ Cinema Bar (Donations) – Cinema Bar is my favorite little dive bar on the West Side (on Sepulveda in Culver City). Elliott Smith was known to hop on stage from time to time. Stinson’s my favorite local country rocker. Gram Parsons and Merle Haggard inspired songwriting with the great Tony Gilkyson on guitar.
KMFDM @ the Fonda – Kill Mother F’ing Depeche Mode.
Jon Brion @ Largo – Get there way early if you don’t have reservations.
The Stiches / Thee L.A. Gentleman Callers @ the Scene ($5) – For the heavy rock fans.
The Bird & the Bee / Pity Party @ Silverlake Lounge ($10) – KCRW crowd
Benji Hughes @ El Cid ($10) – Benji Hughes is one of the Fold’s favorite artists right now. He packs ‘em in.
I Can Lick Any Son of A Bitch in the House @ the Mint ($10) – I’ve never heard these guys, but I’ve always loved the name. It sounds like something my Grandpa would have told me when I was six.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sonofabitch rules! I saw them last time when they played with Two Cow Garage.