Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday Night Music Options - 10/20/06

Boris Plays Arthur Nights Tonight

Boris / Be Your Own Pet / Awesome Color and tons of others @ Downtown Palace Theatre ($24) – For the adventurous. I heard last night’s Arhtur Nights show was pretty good. Devendra’s adoring fans loved him. Jansch was good, but the venue not as intimate as prior trips to LA. See tonight’s set times HERE. People rave about Boris’ Japanese drone rock. Be Your Own Pet are the Nashville “action punk” teens that Thurston Moore signed. A good friend recently turned me on to Awesome Color and I’m really digging them. They kinda mix Sabbath with the Stooges with ZZ Top. Unfortunately they’re playing at 7:20 and there’s no way in hell I can get there in time on a Friday night.

Innaway / In Waves / Polus @ the Scene ($5) – For the psych rockers. My friend Allen’s booking the Scene now, so I’ll probably make it over there more often. He knows music and sees everybody, so keep your eye on their calendar. I’ve heard great things about psychedelic rockers, Innaway. They’ve even toured with Echo & the Bunnymen.
Bob Dylan @ the Forum ($55) – Just searched and tickets are still available.
Mike Stinson @ Vine Street Lounge – For the country-rock/honky tonk fans. I’m a big Stinson fan.
The Parson Red Heads @ Lava Lounge ($5) – I’m a big fan of these guys too. Nice sixties inspired sound.
Two Gallants / Langhorne Slim @ Troubadour ($14) – If you read other blogs, look at Pitchfork or Youtube then you’ve probably heard about the Two Gallants police incident in Houston.
Year Long Disaster /Lions @ Spaceland – Dave Davies’ son
Swollen Members @ El Rey ($15) – For the backpack rappers.

No comments: