Thursday, October 26, 2006

Thursday Night Music - 10/26/2006

Micah P. Hinson Plays Spaceland Tonight
Tonight's Pick:
Matt Pond PA / Micah P Hinson / The Broken West (f/k/a The Brokedown) @ Spaceland ($10) – If this scratchy throat doesn’t drag me down too much, I’ll be here. Matt Pond PA gets called emo for grownups, which makes me think of Death Cab for Cutie. They’ve also been on the OC soundtrack (covering Oasis). The real draw (for me anyway) is Micah P. Hinson and the Broken West.The Aquarium Drunkard seems to be a big fan of Hinson and what I’ve heard sounds really good. He’s plays slightly rootsy music and he has one of those soulful, melancholy voices that I’m often drawn to. Musically it fits along the lines of Iron & Wine (but less precious), Centro-Matic or Will Oldham. He’s gotten a 9/10 from NME, 4/5 from Mojo, 4/5 from Uncut. Download Hinson’s “Jackeyed” and “The Leading Guy” I write about The Broken West all the time, but still haven’t seen them yet. Hopefully tonight’s the night. They recently signed to Merge and changed their name (they were the Brokedown). This is LA Weekly’s pick too.
Also appearing:
Cursive / The Thermals @ Avalon ($18) – What's up with the Avalon? $15 parking. $11 for a drink. Ticketmaster fees on top of it all. You're talking about a $75 night minimum. These guys played the Troubadour last night. If I were a fan, I would have gone there instead.
Ferraby Lionheart @ Knitting Factory 6:00PM – Folk-pop. Lately a lot of people are talking about him lately.
CSS @ the Echo ($15 – adv tix sold out so get there early) – Brazilian sex disco for hipsters. I’m not gonna fault you if you like a dance party. Not everybody wants to be rocked to sleep every night. I do think it’s pretty terrible though.

No comments: