Wednesday, October 04, 2006

MP3 Shuffle 10/4/06

Here’s another edition of Duke’s MP3 shuffle (the first 10 tracks that pop up when I hit shuffle).

1) Hank Williams “Fool About You” – My dad used to torture me in the car with Hank Williams when I was kid. Now I willingly listen to Hank and enjoy it. The Hank Williams 40 greatest hits collection is enough for most people, but there are gems not included on that collection. This is from the Original Singles Collection which has 84 songs. His Luke the Drifter persona is interesting too.
2) Muse “Endlessly” – Radiohead impersonators? A band I occasionally enjoy, but rarely defend.
3) The Flaming Lips “Guy Who Got a Headache and Accidentally Saves the World” – From Clouds Taste Metallic – a strong record. Remember when nobody in LA liked the Flaming Lips and you found these used for $4.99 or less? Now I wish they’d do more of these songs when they play live.
4) Sonic Youth – “Chapel Hill” – This takes me back to college. A song about getting Jesse Helms in the mosh pit. He’s in a convalescent home now, so he’s not much of a threat anymore.
5) Elliott Smith – “Shooting Star” – This is a nasty fuck you song to a scene whore. I wonder if he had anybody specific in mind when he wrote it.
6) Fugazi – “Glue Man” – An interesting transition. From a song by a drug casualty to an anti-drug song from a straight edge band. One of my favorite bands in college.
7) Sufjan Stevens – “Adlai Stevenson” – Another song about a politician. Stevenson was an Illinois Governor who ran for President (and was called an “egghead” by Nixon). Substantially different politics than Jesse Helms…..
8) Buzzcocks – “E.S.P.” – For me you really only need Singles Going Steady. But you definitely do need Singles Going Steady. It’s hard for me to listen to the Sex Pistols or the Clash these days, but not the Buzzcocks.
9) Neutral Milk Hotel “Two-Headed Boy (live 2/4/01)” – I never saw Neutral Milk Hotel live, and these bootlegs make me regret it. I’m a big In the Aeroplane Over the Sea fan and this is one of the best songs on that album.
10) Gene Clark “The Same One” – This one’s from right after he left the Byrds. A sad song about relationship confusion. Possibly about Michelle Phillips? or so the All Music Guide says. I don't always love Gene's performances, but his songs are really interesting.

No comments: