Friday, October 20, 2006

Sunday Night Music Picks 10/22/06

I Sincerely Hope Bonnie "Prince" Billy Does Not Wear This on Sunday
Bonnie “Prince” Billy @ McCabe’s (Sold Out) – I’m still listening to the new record, but maybe not enjoying it quite as much as the A- I gave it would indicate. I’m just not hat into the woman’s voice. I’ve seen Oldham a few times and he’s pretty good. Usually his voice starts to weaken about half way through the performance. The crowd grew extremely restless when he opened for Bjork at the Hollywood Bowl. He’s still a major talent and I’ll never feel bad giving him my money. I got my copy of the new CD at Sea Level and it came with a really good bonus disc. Very cool of Drag City to do that for indie record stores. Also on Tuesday at the Smell and in Malibu on Wednesday.

Lou Barlow / You Am I @ Spaceland ($12) – I always enjoy seeing Lou Barlow. People in LA don’t seem to appreciate him as much as they should. He’ll play some of your favorites. Check out these old flyers he found while recording the new Dinosaur Jr. album. Slightly J obsessed. He’s also got a cool photo of Elliott Smith with Jeff Buckley on his site.
Comets on Fire / Kyp Malone solo (of TV on the Radio) / Fiery Furnaces and tons of others @ Downtown Palace Theatre ($24) – This is the last night of the Arthur Nights fest. People like Jeff Weiss swear by Comets on Fire’s explosive psychedelic rock. I like that new TV on the Radio record. Fiery Furnaces pretty much annoy the hell out of me.
Oxford Collapse / The Joggers / Capitol Years @ Knitting Factory ($10 adv / $12 dos) – Oxford Collapse got my attention because they’re the first band I’ve ever seen that listed the Embarrassment as one of their major influences. The Embarrassment was an early 80’s post-punk band from Wichita, KS. The Feelies and Mission of Burma also get thrown around when describing them. I picked up the record and it’s decent. I’ll give it a letter grade of B-. You can download my favorite song (“Please Visit Your National Parks”) from the record from Sub Pop.
UK Subs @ Key Club
She Wants Revenge @ Greek – If you must.

1 comment:

Passion of the Weiss said...

It's true the comets are the real deal live but if you think im paying 30 bones to see TV on the Radio's #3 dude and the fiery furnaces (gunning for the title of the world's most annoying band for three years running) then youd be crazy. Though i am checking out the beirut show saturday night so I'll let you know how that goes. Im liking these long daily posts. It fullfills my burning desire to waste time quite nicely.