Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wednesday Night Music Options 11/14/07

The Broken West Love Their Label


Wednesday's Options 11/14/07:

[Recommended] The Broken West / Henry Clay People / The Monolators / Correatown @ Bordello ($8) – I plan on checking this show out. I still haven’t seen Henry Clay People, but everybody tells me I’ll like them. Unfortunately they go on at 8:30 tonight, so it will be tough for me to get there on time. The Broken West’s playing an acoustic set, which I’ve never seen them do before. They go on at 10:30. I know Jax and Joe like the Monolators, but I haven’t seen them yet either. Correatown’s doing a Wednesday night residency at the Bordello and go on at 9:30. The Aquarium Drunkard’s got two of live tracks from their Woxy session (including a Tegan & Sara cover).

Caetano Veloso @ Civic Auditorium in Pasadena ($40-$60) – The Brazilian singer’s a living legend. He helped invent the Tropicalia genre. I really haven’t heard any of his albums from the past 35 years, or I might be more tempted to go.

Club NME: Polytechnic / Castledoor @ Spaceland ($8) – Polytechnic’s in from Manchester to do a date in LA and a date in NYC. See what the BBC said about them HERE (Joy Division/Rapture comparisons). Castledoor just did the Echo’s Monday night residency last month.

The Valley Arena / The Forms / Signal Hill @ the Scene – Rock Insider and Radio Free Silver Lake are helping present this show. Joe at RFSL swears that Signal Hill put on one of his favorite shows this year.

Filter’s Revenge of the Sunset Strip: Oliver Future / Panda Band / Sara Lov / Marty from Gliss @ the Roxy ($11)

Athlete / Gemma Hayes @ Troubadour ($20) – Athlete’s a British band that I don’t know much about. I see a lot of Coldplay and U2 comparisons around them.

Rilo Kiley @ UC Riverside ($20) – It’s a trek, but if you love Rilo Kiley….

Franklin for Short / The Spires / Western States Motel (solo acoustic) @ Tangier ($5)

Silverbird / Sangre, Sangre! @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – A couple of country-rock bands I haven’t heard yet.

Suzanne Vega @ El Rey ($24)

No comments: